• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Black iridium vs Prizm Black

i should ask does the prism p and the prism black both have that mirror finish compared to the prism grey?

Black is the name of the Iridium coating, it always has a mirror finish. The Prizm versions always seem to be a bit more transparent than older standard lenses.

Grey is dark, but not reflective. You might see someone's eyes through either Black or Grey, but it's less likely through Black. Polarization does not affect reflectiveness.

For anyone coming to this now....

Control:
DF3B57B8-559F-4569-B2FC-2A968E50B120.jpeg

Prizm Black:
6AD0F429-F64A-49E0-9AF3-F8B7E0DC90DA.jpeg

Black Iridium Polarized:
0D5FAD94-C70E-483E-9BC3-9C86893B70B3.jpeg

Prizm Black Polarized:
050942F1-F984-4032-8EF8-19B28467F300.jpeg

Prizm Daily Polarized:
EE52226B-DBA9-4748-8C82-07DBE7CBB923.jpeg

First off, Daily Polarized is significantly different to the other 3 lenses. It has a much stronger tint that adds a general ‘warm’ glow to the world, and is not as dark. It’s a very relaxing and enjoyable lens to wear all day, and in changeable conditions it’s absolutely my favourite Oakley lens. You can wear this from dawn to dusk in sun or clouds which is what makes it so great.. I mainly just put it here because I had it.

Black Iridium Polarized adds a noticeable blue tint to everything. So browns look a bit greyer, greens look a bit darker and flatter, but blues POP. The sky looks great! It’s one of the darker Oakley lenses but for me it makes everything just look a bit washed-out and boring. One for the sunnier days for sure. I used to really like this lens but I don’t enjoy it anymore since moving to more brown/rose based lenses.

Prizm Black/Polarized/No lens:
There is very little to distinguish colour wise between these two lenses and reality. They are both a small tweak away from accurate in subtly different ways. This means back to back the lenses are noticeably different in a way you wouldn’t expect given the only difference based on the naming is that one is polarized.

Prizm Black Polarized for me is the most accurate lens for colour here. It makes everything darker and then adds just a tiny bit of contrast across the spectrum. One for bright clouds or sunny days. Not too bad in cloudy conditions but can make everything seem dull and flat.

Prizm Black is very similar. But it is a darker lens than the polarized version, and as such the colour profile isn’t quite as bright/contrasty as the polarized version. It’s a subtle but noticeable difference. Walking down city streets in the shade or on a cloudy day and you’ll be taking these off.

I tried on a pair of the Prizm Black, didnt do much for me. Since 1996 i have been wearing oakleys. Primarily in Emerald Iridium or Black Iridium. Polarized when I had the option. When Emerald went away I started testing the varying colors of the rainbow. But my go to lens in any frame is still BIP. Without question, heavily enjoy it for yard work and driving. Had that lens in probably 20 to 30 frames over the years and its always a go to for me. Prizm while a neat feature is not something that I think suits every color lense combo out there. Often I feel it has ruined some great ones such as Ruby and Black for example when you look through them compared to a standard iridium of the same color class polarized or not.

A store rep told me that Oakley intends to make all lenses Prizm in the future as the base offering and it will be only a selection of Prizm Polarized or just Prizm in a given lens. But you wont be able to get a straight iridium lens any longer. Dont know when or if that will come to pass but thats what they told me in store as they have started selling off the non-prizm lenses at dirt cheap prices. $20 a pair for Mainlink, Sliver Iridium lenses last visit. Polarized and non polarized.

@mf0u3021 Great pics. Thanks for that comparison, for me still seals the Black IR Polarized as the go to in that comparison for the black lens of choice in the main line. I also felt the exterior coating was more transparent in the Prizm Black IR compared to standard black IR.

For anyone coming to this now....

Control:
View attachment 700150
Prizm Black:
View attachment 700151

Black Iridium Polarized:
View attachment 700147

Prizm Black Polarized:
View attachment 700149

Prizm Daily Polarized:
View attachment 700148

First off, Daily Polarized is significantly different to the other 3 lenses. It has a much stronger tint that adds a general ‘warm’ glow to the world, and is not as dark. It’s a very relaxing and enjoyable lens to wear all day, and in changeable conditions it’s absolutely my favourite Oakley lens. You can wear this from dawn to dusk in sun or clouds which is what makes it so great.. I mainly just put it here because I had it.

Black Iridium Polarized adds a noticeable blue tint to everything. So browns look a bit greyer, greens look a bit darker and flatter, but blues POP. The sky looks great! It’s one of the darker Oakley lenses but for me it makes everything just look a bit washed-out and boring. One for the sunnier days for sure. I used to really like this lens but I don’t enjoy it anymore since moving to more brown/rose based lenses.

Prizm Black/Polarized/No lens:
There is very little to distinguish colour wise between these two lenses and reality. They are both a small tweak away from accurate in subtly different ways. This means back to back the lenses are noticeably different in a way you wouldn’t expect given the only difference based on the naming is that one is polarized.

Prizm Black Polarized for me is the most accurate lens for colour here. It makes everything darker and then adds just a tiny bit of contrast across the spectrum. One for bright clouds or sunny days. Not too bad in cloudy conditions but can make everything seem dull and flat.

Prizm Black is very similar. But it is a darker lens than the polarized version, and as such the colour profile isn’t quite as bright/contrasty as the polarized version. It’s a subtle but noticeable difference. Walking down city streets in the shade or on a cloudy day and you’ll be taking these off.
how mirrored is prizm blk polar?

Back