• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Cleaning Kit

IMG_5952.JPG
This one is cool too

So this is slightly off topic but still related to this kit. I work in an aviation manufacturing plant where I have an overabundance of anti-static/anti-fog lens wipes that are safe for glass, plastic, and polycarbonate materials. Yesterday a fellow collector told me that I should not use these because they can 'rub off' the iridium part of the coating. Anyone on here know if that is accurate or bs? I like having unlimited access to free lens cleaner and would rather just keep using brand new wipes every time I touch my glasses.

So this is slightly off topic but still related to this kit. I work in an aviation manufacturing plant where I have an overabundance of anti-static/anti-fog lens wipes that are safe for glass, plastic, and polycarbonate materials. Yesterday a fellow collector told me that I should not use these because they can 'rub off' the iridium part of the coating. Anyone on here know if that is accurate or bs? I like having unlimited access to free lens cleaner and would rather just keep using brand new wipes every time I touch my glasses.
Depends on the alcohol content. O cleaner is 5% I think so I wouldn't go over that.

Unless you mean just a plain cloth which should be fine depending on the material. You should be able to feel it if it's different from an Oakley cloth.

My question is, is an anti-fog/static wipe a cleaner? Or just used as a coating once in awhile

Hmmm well I can't lock down an actual MSDS sheet on these for some reason, but iso 91 is the only ingredient listed and you can obviously smell the alcohol when you open the wipe so safe to say a decent bit higher than 5% presoaked into wipe.

Mich- it is a silicon free cleaner (meant to be used for safety glasses and screens) but to SIRacer420's point it would make sense that uncoated safety lenses would be a little more chemically robust than the coating on our Oakley's.

I think either spraying the cloth with a little water or maybe even just waiting like 30 seconds for some of the alcohol to evaporate would be a good bet

If it is 91% ISO, You are better off to wait......adding water will essentially only cut the alcohol down to say a 70% which will take longer to evaporate. If that helps with your decision. Wait.......then add water.

Depends on the alcohol content. O cleaner is 5% I think so I wouldn't go over that.

Unless you mean just a plain cloth which should be fine depending on the material. You should be able to feel it if it's different from an Oakley cloth.
So cleaning your lenses with 70% alcohol is not a good idea?

Only asking because I read an online article about uses for rubbing alcohol and it mentioned cleaning your lenses with it ...

Back