• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley cleaning kits

Garducio

Oakley Enthusiast
quick question .
I'm trying to see what the difference between these 2 cleaning kits are.
1. NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit
2. Oakley Lens Cleaning Kit

Is one better than the other or are they both the same?
thanks.

I believe #2 is just a regular cleaning kit, and #1 cleans and adds the hydrophobic solution, which is similar to rainX for windshields if I remember right.

I use #2 once a week on my 4 pairs of Oakleys and it does a great job. I've also heard people say you can take the empty bottle back to an O store and they will refil it for free.

Yea I have the NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit. Ok so it's a protective layer u put on. So you'd want to clean the glasses with the cleaning kit then put the NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit on top?

Yea I have the NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit. Ok so it's a protective layer u put on. So you'd want to clean the glasses with the cleaning kit then put the NanoClear Hydrophobic Lens Cleaner Kit on top?

Normally I will just start with the hydrophobic cleaner unless the lenses are extremely dirty. After it dries you will most likely end up with a haze looking through the lenses. Just use the regular lens cleaner kit once or twice afterwards and it should clear everything up.

I've also heard people say you can take the empty bottle back to an O store and they will refil it for free.

It's true. Although every time I do that the bottle gets shaken from just walking and I feel like a **** for making a bit of a sloppy process.

Do you wash the lens first with water before using the lens cleaning kit?

Do you wash the lens first with water before using the lens cleaning kit?
If there is mud or salt or general crud on the lens, then definitely YES.
You don't want to be grinding anything onto that 3 micron iridium surface.
Use lukewarm running tap water, and you'll be fine; that will remove the majority of lens gunk, except for body oils (sweat). That's where the cleaning solution comes into play. Don't forget to wipe down the unobtainium bits too, though it's not critical to use microfiber on 'em.
Beware of sunscreen, hair gels, and scented body solutions.
Some of these are DEATH to fine shades!
Batwolf started a wealth of information on cleaning here:
How To Properly Clean Your Oakley Glasses | Oakley Forum
WELL worth reading!

Last edited:
Do you apply the hydrophobic solution to both the front and inside part of the lens?

Latest Posts

Back