• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Failures

Same here but it was at least 5 or 6 weeks ago...I was shocked actually...remaining Straight Jacket 2's were still 130...strange...but I really dont hate anything just hate some things on me Frogs not my thing but I am interested in people that have huge collections...just like me not having dvd's but I always end up looking at friend's 1000-2000 collection out of sheer wonder...its like the Googolplex of home theaters...endless movies and tv shows. I think if people love the Pit Bull they should wear it and be proud...I look like an alien in them due to small head

firstly, i must say this "one man's meat is another man's poison"..everyone will have their different views and which models were deemed "failures" by oakley. =)

i for one, think the Jupiter is pretty alright, i have quite a few, and DIY customized a couple of pairs as well. Failure-wise..i have to agree with the New Frogskins. you almost never see them at all, and you guys think the Jupiter were a bad variation of the Frogs, the New Frogskins were worse in my opinion. =) and of coz, the Half-X. each X-metal is unique and awesome in their own way, but the Half-X just didn't cut it for me. probably the only X-metal i wouldn't wanna get. ha!

C'mon... what's not to like about Half X??
:thumb: it's comfortable, doesn't try to squeeze your brains out during prolonged wearing
:thumb: Doesn't try to distort or impale your skull and temples when putting them on
:thumb: No need to mess around with adjustment using t-shox
:thumb: No need to send back to Oakley for a tune up due to floppy nose bridges
:thumb: No need to own multiple pairs of similar colorways just because there's a limited / special edition with someone's sig on the lens
:thumb: Cheap enough to buy w/o taking out a mortgage

hang on... i just described a wire frame... guess Oakley should have just named it Half Wire Fat

I guess that's what x-metal lovers like us look for in an x-metal... none of the above criteria!!! :laugh:

C'mon... what's not to like about Half X??
:thumb: it's comfortable, doesn't try to squeeze your brains out during prolonged wearing
:thumb: Doesn't try to distort or impale your skull and temples when putting them on
:thumb: No need to mess around with adjustment using t-shox
:thumb: No need to send back to Oakley for a tune up due to floppy nose bridges
:thumb: No need to own multiple pairs of similar colorways just because there's a limited / special edition with someone's sig on the lens
:thumb: Cheap enough to buy w/o taking out a mortgage

hang on... i just described a wire frame... guess Oakley should have just named it Half Wire Fat

I guess that's what x-metal lovers like us look for in an x-metal... none of the above criteria!!! :laugh:

well said my man. haha!

2008 Frogskin

2008 Frogskin sunglasses. They are hideous! (IMO) But Britney Spears might like them!

xatgu0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There's quite a few designs that I simply don't like - but that's not the point of this thread, so let's re-focus . . . .

In terms of failures in design, I have to go with the Half-X too I'm afraid.
As previously mentioned, it's more of a chunky Half Wire.
For apparently being in the X-Metal range, they seemingly completely forgot to put the big X at the nose-bridge section, and then also forgot to design a hinge too. One of the design features of Oakley that I have always admired is how they design and conceal hinge-work - mostly with either clean flowing lines or vents etc. The Half-X here just looks so clumsy, like something you'd find on your garden gate. And then they carried that clumsy hinge into models such as the Ten, which was otherwise an OK design.

As far as failures in sales are concerned, yeah, I bet the New Frogskin didn't do their bank balance any favours.

But I also think we need to consider any acetate frames aimed at men.
I'm thinking stuff like the Tangent, and Sideways.
Don't get me wrong, both nice looking designs. If only they weren't so heavy, and sized for a nine-year-old child.
I wonder if Oakley have learned their lesson on this now, cos they are now Vault fodder arent they.

Actually, it's a shame the tilted icon idea for the Sideways wasn't one they ran with into more glasses, and into the O-matter range too, as it just looks that little bit different. Simple design stuff, but hey, it was quirky and it interested me. I saw an RX model the other day with a tilted icon, and it looked the b@lls.

So yeah, acetate is cack. I sold my Tangent a while ago, but I've still kept my Sideways just as a design to look at (the only pair in my collection I don't wear).

Good call on the Tangent, Hershey, I was thinking the same thing. Don't forget about Ice Pick, Half X's omatter brother, I don't think that one did well either.

For as much dislike the Jupiter is getting here (I actually like it) it is still in production which to me does not make it a failure, just not liked by some here. I never consider Jupiter a replacement for the Frogskin, but more of an updated, refined version's it.

Yeah, I thought of the Ice Pick too - released at about the same time as the Tangent. Two bum-notes from the same era.

(Not sure about being called Hershey mind! haha!)

And I agree about the Jupiter. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is still selling. Probably mostly to ladies . . . . oh and Jono :laugh: . . . . but selling nonetheless, so it cannot be a 'failure' in the meaning of this thread. It would be like saying the Holbrook is a failure cos that is also an updated Frogskin-style design - but that is clearly not the case, cos everyone's buying them like hot cakes.
Even the gaudy gold ones.

Sorry Herbsley, dang spell check. Oh yeah, Moon, might be another one.

It's hard to say what truly is a failure, the production numbers would help to determine that.

Latest Posts

Back