• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Fish Tank Display???

BigHill11590

Oakley Expert
Tampa FL USA
I know this is the collection area but I figured this counted because it involves displaying in shades, but if its in the wrong section mods please move it. Has anyone ever seen Oakleys displayed in a fish tank? I just got a 10 gallon fish tank and I was thinking about putting some frames in there. Has anyone ever done this?

Dam, What a great Idea. I was thinking the TV show Tanked. I could make my 6ft Tower into a tank easy. Acrylic rectangle box. Have to check and see if the frame will hold the weight but still, neat idea.

Dam, What a great Idea. I was thinking the TV show Tanked. I could make my 6ft Tower into a tank easy. Acrylic rectangle box. Have to check and see if the frame will hold the weight but still, neat idea.
That's what I was thinking too I want to Turn my case into A fish tank haha but for now I have my 60 and 50 gallons

Had a 480gal saltwater, the whole back was live rock with live corals. Three bannded cat sharks, two blue dot stingrays, and a ton of other reef fish. Got to hard to move, and then just sold and got my 8K back. Lost less than 1k on it.

I was just thinking, THe Acrylic box would be less than 3 bills, have the lights up top (easy), and the pumps where the drawers are. All fittings through the bottom, and steel supports on the corners inside the bottom of the case. That would be a great display case. If I keep the tower, I will do this in a few years. Probably fresh water and do the African Ciclids for the ease of everything. Could even remove the plexi walls and do a cylinder inside. That would be cool too.

Had a 480gal saltwater, the whole back was live rock with live corals. Three bannded cat sharks, two blue dot stingrays, and a ton of other reef fish. Got to hard to move, and then just sold and got my 8K back. Lost less than 1k on it.

I was just thinking, THe Acrylic box would be less than 3 bills, have the lights up top (easy), and the pumps where the drawers are. All fittings through the bottom, and steel supports on the corners inside the bottom of the case. That would be a great display case. If I keep the tower, I will do this in a few years. Probably fresh water and do the African Ciclids for the ease of everything. Could even remove the plexi walls and do a cylinder inside. That would be cool too.
Damn sounded like an awesome tank U had

Okay, this is something that I have thought about and considered, with the Oakley case and many other items... Single wide Oakley case is 16x16x48 (rough estimate because I am too lazy to walk upstairs and measure).
That equals 7.11 cubic feet. That equates to 53 gallons which weighs about 467 pounds in water.
Considering this, you would need plexiglass that is about 3/4" thick, at the bare minimum, because unlike a horizontal tank, this is vertical, and the bottom will be under much higher pressure, especially against the walls pushing out. You would definitely have to "X" brace the top, and under the bottom, inside the cabinet. While I love my case, I am 100% certain that even though it is aluminum, it was not designed to, nor has the structural integrity to hold the weight or the sheer pressure pushing out on the frame.
Also, cutting acrylic and welding it for a tank is not easy. The edges have to be perfect, and using acrylic weld is not easy. It really is a skill or an art.
For your sake, I hope to be incorrect in this, but I am fairly certain that the frame of our cases would not cut the mustard. I just don't want to see you dropping three bills on acrylic without getting a professional or someone who really knows this stuff to look into it with you.

Sorry to be a fun sponge. =[

Reread your post. Looks like you know a lot about tanks. I feel like an ass.

Okay, this is something that I have thought about and considered, with the Oakley case and many other items... Single wide Oakley case is 16x16x48 (rough estimate because I am too lazy to walk upstairs and measure).
That equals 7.11 cubic feet. That equates to 53 gallons which weighs about 467 pounds in water.
Considering this, you would need plexiglass that is about 3/4" thick, at the bare minimum, because unlike a horizontal tank, this is vertical, and the bottom will be under much higher pressure, especially against the walls pushing out. You would definitely have to "X" brace the top, and under the bottom, inside the cabinet. While I love my case, I am 100% certain that even though it is aluminum, it was not designed to, nor has the structural integrity to hold the weight or the sheer pressure pushing out on the frame.
Also, cutting acrylic and welding it for a tank is not easy. The edges have to be perfect, and using acrylic weld is not easy. It really is a skill or an art.
For your sake, I hope to be incorrect in this, but I am fairly certain that the frame of our cases would not cut the mustard. I just don't want to see you dropping three bills on acrylic without getting a professional or someone who really knows this stuff to look into it with you.

Sorry to be a fun sponge. =[

Reread your post. Looks like you know a lot about tanks. I feel like an ass.
No you are correct in alot of what you are saying. Yes the bottom of floor of the Case, (Mine is the 16in by 16in, 6ft (but the bottom 3ft is a door with 4 drawers in it)). is not able to hold the weight. Need to put steel under the floor, plus legs down each corner. Plumbing thorugh the bottom into the acrylic, and the lights drilled through the top. All the plexiglass would be taken out completely. All you would see is the tank itself. ATM in Vegas can make the custom acrylic (same as tv show) for you not that expensive. I think that would do it, but without really looking at it closely, your points would definitely need to be looked into.

Back