• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Flak 2.0 XL For Cycling - Issues...

Hey Steve.

I'll just touch on a few key things. It is too bad that your RX is strong enough to see chromatic aberration. This is common in an RX about 3.00 diopter. I would recommend a couple things if these are sticky used as cycling glasses. Try raising the seg height at least 2 or 3 mm. That way you aren't looking so far from (so far above) the "MRP" major reference point of the design at high speed... this should eliminate about 20-50% of the chromatic aberration. That being said you should consider also changing the design to the "cycling progressive " Oakley makes. This will make the lenses still comfortable optically w a higher fitting height. Otherwise, the "+5.25" total power on the bottom of the lens will be "too distracting " and dominate a lot of your precious usable lens real estate. Lastly, they don't offer many colors in the cycling design... you might be stuck w prizm road, prizm black, prizm Tungsten, maybe polarized in black or Tungsten. But that's about it. Covid has limited availability in progressive cycling designed prizm road Jade and prizm road torch.

Be very specific with your Oakley optician that you want cycling design... and not fishing, golf, or standard OTD Oakley progressive designs. Not all of them even know those are options on top of lens color.

Trivex would have better optics, and Shamir (Google that) has great progressive designs for 8 base curve. BuT your RX will be WAY TOO THICK in that material... also 1.67 hi index would be slightly thinner but less impact resistant, and not much better on ABBE value "rating".

If you go w those materials, you'll need to pick a flatter 6 base curve frame. Offering less protection on the sides.

Back in the day I wouldn't have recommended anything above a +2.00 sphere power (add power irrelevant... whatever up to +3.00)... but since true digital edge came out several years ago your rx should be ok.

I hope that helps. And remember w your age related limited flexibility, and posture, we both know your eyes are higher in the lens.... so that's not the way they were measured at the optician Desk (well I bet). Easily raise that seg 3mm and change design. You'll be much happier. Add mentioned even if it's 30 to 50% better I bet you could love them w adaption for another week.

Trust me when I do your eyes aren't "bad" this is normal aging stuff, but glasses are limited by the physical world and our understanding of light and "mediums" like lens materials. Good luck!
thank you!!
i stumbled on this forum 4/2/22 and have learned an immense amount. too bad google buried it when i searched for "high prescription sport sunglasses.
if sking and cycling are my passions should i still move the segment up?

Had same problem not with oakleys tho. I have like -4.75 and -3.25 plus astigmatism.
I found anything over a 5 base curve your vision is going to be distorted around the edges.
Inserts will give the best vision but you have 4 surfaces to get fogged or sweaty. I had Rudy project Horus that worked well but it’s a smaller lense and $$$$.
Good luck.
i meant base 6

thank you!!
i stumbled on this forum 4/2/22 and have learned an immense amount. too bad google buried it when i searched for "high prescription sport sunglasses.
if sking and cycling are my passions should i still move the segment up?
I think this advice was exclusive to that exact situation. Try asking your local optician before making any changes. Skiing I would not raise it. For cycling I think raising it is a good idea. Skiing down hills you don't want the reading area interfering. Cycling is usually a bit more flat ground.

I think this advice was exclusive to that exact situation. Try asking your local optician before making any changes. Skiing I would not raise it. For cycling I think raising it is a good idea. Skiing down hills you don't want the reading area interfering. Cycling is usually a bit more flat ground.
im -4.75 -3.25 w astigmatism. the local oakley store wasn't helpful finding frames compatible with my prescription. i looked for glasses with the least curve and the frogskins were the best .
do you have any suggestions?

im -4.75 -3.25 w astigmatism. the local oakley store wasn't helpful finding frames compatible with my prescription. i looked for glasses with the least curve and the frogskins were the best .
do you have any suggestions?
Ya I think Frogskin and Manoburn are the flattest.

I personally world's wear a Ray ban Rb2132 if I were you. It's the "new" wayfarer style. It's not Oakley, but most people like the style and it's great for RX...

Also you really should consider getting a lasik consult w that much astigmatism and nearsightedness, contact lenses or lasik are your best bets to start.

Ya I think Frogskin and Manoburn are the flattest.

I personally world's wear a Ray ban Rb2132 if I were you. It's the "new" wayfarer style. It's not Oakley, but most people like the style and it's great for RX...

Also you really should consider getting a lasik consult w that much astigmatism and nearsightedness, contact lenses or lasik are your best bets to start.
years ago had a Lasik doc say my pupils were big and corneas thin. I was on the edge for the procedure. That, plus I had a small cataract brewing, and I don’t need readers ( which I like).
The lasik might put me at risk for a rupture, total correction probably not possible, and I would need reading glasses. Not worth it to me.
You made a good point. Perhaps I should revisit the lasik guy. Thanks

years ago had a Lasik doc say my pupils were big and corneas thin. I was on the edge for the procedure. That, plus I had a small cataract brewing, and I don’t need readers ( which I like).
The lasik might put me at risk for a rupture, total correction probably not possible, and I would need reading glasses. Not worth it to me.
You made a good point. Perhaps I should revisit the lasik guy. Thanks
You won't need readers if you ask for them to correct you to only a -1.00 or even -1.50 per eye. Also get all that astigmatism cleaned up. But if your cornea is too thin that's true. You wouldn't be a good candidate. I'd say get a second opinion. And ask about staying slightly nearsighted so you don't need readers.

Back