• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Flak Jacket XLJ lens sizing differences?

EmptyWallet

Oakley Beginner
I recently purchased a set of Flak Jackets from Amazon, they actually were from Amazon as well, not a 3rd party seller.

Oakley 24-433
Matte Black, with Black Iridium XLJ Polarized lenses.

Threw them on, fit great, blah blah.

I strolled down to my local Oakley store and purchased some Prizm Golf XLJ lenses, and took them home.

I instantly noticed when opening the package, the small size difference between the Prizm XLJ lenses (larger) and the BIP XLJ lenses (smaller).

Hmmmm, I thought all XLJ lenses were the same size?

Looking at Oakley's website I can actually find a pair (not my model) that are listed here:

Oakley Polarized Flak Jacket XLJ | Official Oakley Store

Where the measurements are as follows:

Lens Width 58 mm
Bridge Width 22 mm
Lens Height 39 mm
Temple Arm Length 133 mm

..and then another model here:

Oakley Polarized Flak Jacket XLJ | Official Oakley Store

Where the measurements are as follows:
Lens Width 63 mm
Bridge Width 14 mm
Lens Height 37 mm
Temple Arm Length 133 mm

So..what gives? I actually like the bigger Prizm lens. I'd love to have some BIP in that size. But am I correct in my findings? Different XLJ lenses can be different sizes?

Anyone ever heard of this?

Haven't had any issues with any of my flaks - prizm or otherwise.

Perhaps you got a pair of Asian Fit Flak Jackets which may not be compatible with the Prizm lens?

I thought about that, but the part number that is on the box, label as well, indicates otherwise.

Also, the Prizm XLJ lenses that appear larger...fit just fine. No worries there.

I'm really stumped.

EDIT - Unless I just shoehorned some regular fit lenses into an asian fit frame..which I'm not even sure if possible.

Well if it fits the frame and the whole pair doesn't rub against your cheek, then it's all good :)

I think even if it did rub my cheek, it might just be my jacked up face that's responsible. :)

Moving on then, any ideas on the lens size difference, or what could be going on here? I don't think I'm totally crazy as it's listed as different on Oakley's site as well in some places.

I think even if it did rub my cheek, it might just be my jacked up face that's responsible. :)

Moving on then, any ideas on the lens size difference, or what could be going on here? I don't think I'm totally crazy as it's listed as different on Oakley's site as well in some places.
You didn't ge flak 2.0 lenses did you?

Nope! The box clearly states Flak Jacket XLJ on both. The box my Oakley's came in, as well as the replacement Prizm lenses.

The lenses have been like that for quite some time.

All polarized XLJ flak jacket lenses are slightly smaller than non polarized XLJ lenses. I wish I could tell you why but that's just the way it is.

I remember when flaks first came out there was in fact some of the "larger" XLJ lenses in polarized but I think it was only a month or 2 after that and they were all smaller from then on out.

Ok....so I'm not crazy. They're all like this?

Are there threads I could search for here on this?

I wonder why that's not specified on Oakley's site?

Back