• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Frogskins Crystal Series

jk-27

Oakley Expert
Premium Member
I was just wondering about the history of the Oakley Frogskins in Crystal Black and Crystal Blue that are being sold these days.

When I first became aware of them they were advertised as being an Australia region only release but they are clearly being sold by many international sellers these days so it raised a few questions that I thought someone here might be able to answer:

1: Does anyone know the production numbers on these Frogskins?

2: Were they really only an Australia release?

3: If so, how often do Oakley do region specific releases of models?

4: Does anyone know what the next region specific Frogskins model will be and when it will be released?

Thanks

Maybe I can help.The Jetty Blue and Jetty Crystal Black, were an Oz release for the Jetty stores. The blue is different to the acid blue. Jetty editions comes with a custom microbag.

An interesting fact a little birdie told me, a box of Jetty editions arrived in the Oakley Uk warehouse and has been passed onto to retailers. This may be due to the colourways not selling in OZ. This happened to the C100 gascan at a stage, but didn't make it to Uk retails as staff grabbed afew before the rest were sent back to Berlin.

As for numbers, I'm unaware of totals. But as mention before, release numbers are only guidelines and never fixed.

Do you think it is the typical 3000 pairs like most limited frogskins? Not sure how credible my source is, but I was told that when it comes to limited frogskins, oakley.com usually gets 150 pairs to sell and the rest are sold to surf/skate/specialty shops and can be acquired from them.

Maybe I can help.The Jetty Blue and Jetty Crystal Black, were an Oz release for the Jetty stores. The blue is different to the acid blue. Jetty editions comes with a custom microbag.

An interesting fact a little birdie told me, a box of Jetty editions arrived in the Oakley Uk warehouse and has been passed onto to retailers. This may be due to the colourways not selling in OZ. This happened to the C100 gascan at a stage, but didn't make it to Uk retails as staff grabbed afew before the rest were sent back to Berlin.

As for numbers, I'm unaware of totals. But as mention before, release numbers are only guidelines and never fixed.

Interesting, Oakley seem to be doing quite a bit with special edition Frogskins for specific retailers, more so than on their other models it seems. It seems to be hit and miss though as this run clearly didn't sell locally so has been farmed out across the globe just as the Smog series didn't sell and is now being sold as 'limited edition' via some retailers in Japan (with lens etching). Seems Oakley have messed up the Frogskins design this year, the Smog frames and Acid series frames just haven't been selling as well, and varying the colours slightly or tying them to specific retailers isn't shifting them either.

I am seeing the Frogskins starting to die quickly. So I would suggest taking note of the prices you thinking of paying.

Time will tell, I think it might just be the current runs which aren't great. The Jupiter Camo's and SW's sold fast, frame and lens combos that worked rather than offering the whole Acid series with no lens options.

Well apparently there will be an Acid Tortoise series after the Backlight series (does anyone know when the Backlight are coming out by the way?). After that who knows, maybe they will study what has and hasn't sold and go down a design route closer to the styles that sold than those that didn't. There's plenty of design options for the Frogksins, just look at all the limited editions, but Oakley just need to pick something that isn't too niche or trying to be too fashion orientated (i.e. Smog series [a design choice out of nowhere] or Acid Series [neon colours that were cool for about a week but are now already 'yesterdays news' in the fashion world]).

I'm with jk-27. Luxxotica is a publicly traded company and (some) of their sunglasses still sell for a premium on ebay. I'm sure they have noticed. There is still a lot of money to be made and I'm sure they will find said $$$. There last couple of forays have been misses as described above (I loved the smog series, they look awesome if you swap out the lenses with some coloered ones), but the well isn't dry. Frogtastic, you even started a thread a couple weeks ago dedicated to how much of a premium some styles are going for on the secondary market.

In all honesty they are sitting on somewhat of a goldmine. The people who remember the first or second go round of frogs (late 80's to early 90's) finally have their own "adult" money to spend (note: I definitely fit into this group), whereas the re-releases have also made them popular with the 18 to 25 crowd of today. Throw in how popular they are in SE Asia and the demand is still there, and as long as they don't royally screw it up, it will be there for a long time. Sure it is seasonal, but when you selll sunglasses, what do you expect.

Just look at the BKRW release. diagonal stripes, not exactly rocket science, but fetching large$$$ on the secondary market. I'll admit I tried to get a set and found myself SOL. Let's say they put those out in a couple new colors, they'd get eaten up......

Back