• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Iridium Polarized Lens Scratch-ability/Longevity

Salmonson63

Oakley Beginner
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and to Oakley sunglasses. I just bought my first lair last week and so far I have zero complaints and am absolutely loving them. I went with the brown smoke antix frame with the tungsten iridium polarized frame.

Now for my concerns. I bought these glasses before doing any prior research about the specific lens or really Oakley lenses in general. Now I am reading everywhere that the iridium lenses scratch very easily. This is a concern for me as I hate scratches and a replacement lens is expensive. So just how easily do they scratch? I am very anal about always keeping them in the bag and clean, I did buy the Oakley cleaning kit as well. These glasses will be worn pretty much daily but not in a harsh environment or abused.

I guess at this point I am considering returning them and getting something non iridium coated (even though I am liking the iridium) just for the sake of longevity.

I also have one other quick question and wanted to get your guy's thoughts on. These glasses will be stored in my car. Am I better off using a visor clip or storing them in the bag?

Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this and respond. :)

I personal don't have much issue with scratches on iridum and i have even dropped my glasses but it can happen if you make sure the micro bag is clean and make sure there is no grit on the lens prior to wiping you should be fine

but everyone is diffrent

Welcome to the forum Salmonson63.

I don't have issues with the iridium on my lenses scratching but then again I always keep mine in their microfiber bag and then inside a case to be safe.
I would suggest if you are going to keep them in your car you also do the same but honestly if it was me I would not keep them in the car as the temperature in the car gets so hot in the sun.

Welcome to the forum! I don't like scratches and clean my lenses almost daily, I don't have any problems as they are also stored in the micro bag when I am not wearing them. You should not get scratches easily as long as you take care of them. I would not store them in the car either because of the temperatures.

Thanks for all the replies! I had never considered the temperatures of storing them in the car, but you guys make a good point. Now keep in mind I am storing then in the center console which is a little cooler than say on the dash, but none the less still hot. I guess I will have to start bringing them in to the office with me.

Perfect! Thanks for the link to that case, I will look in to getting one of those.

I guess this means I will have to start packing my sunglasses in and out of work with me everyday. What would you consider a safe temperature to leave them in the car. Where I live above 80-85 degrees is pretty rare.

O well in that temperature it might be ok to leave them in there. I just never consider leaving my glasses in the car because they are safer with me :grin: lol.

I just never leave mine in the car in general. I'm not sure about safe temperatures when it comes to leaving them in the car but better safe than sorry as I know you want them to last longer.

Back