• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Iridium Polarized Lens Scratch-ability/Longevity

I may be an Oakley Newbie as my second pair only arrived today. But, my first pair which I've owned for a little over two years are Black Iridium Polarized lenses and they have 1 scratch on the lenses from within the first month. I trusted my microfiber bag to clean them and ended up getting a piece of what was likely sand on them that ultimately scratched the lenses. Personally, since I am OCD about cleaning since them, I either blow on the lenses or rinse them with water prior to doing any kind of rubbing. To clean I use Oakley solution and rub with the microfiber cloth included in the Oakley kit. Then I take a microfiber bag I have solely for cleaning (does not leave the house) to dry them or allow them to air dry. Which may be why I just have the same old scratch.

I also leave my Oakleys in the car quite frequently when I don't want to have them on my head in a store, etc. I live in Florida so I would assume the temps get to 130ish degrees? I haven't had any issues I can directly relate to doing so.

Yeah Iridium coating is a pain in the a** I have destroyed a couple pairs just cause they fell flat and i cleaned them right after , even though i did let water run over them and used a clean microfiber bag. The best thing is the cleaning solution and very clean microfiber bags. Carry them always.

I am dissapointed in how much shatter proof they are ,yet they are incredibly easy to scratch

Most of the time I find myself wearing lenses without the iridium coating, specially if I know I will be working with them or similar

b7ad50aca92f385bb8aaa1d2d1aa57cc.png

7662f6fafc9443e3a3834b3a71a8f3dc.png

29167a119929ba2257a36e656a401a98.png

87608f763eed67de0ce68e0cb4fb3b21.png

Sounds like as long as I'm careful I shouldn't have anything to worry about.

+1 on that.

Throughout all my years, and all the glasses over those years, I have only ever had one 'failure' of an iridium coating. (My old Ducati Square Wires, fact fiends).
And even then, I sent it to Oakley UK, and they agreed to replace it with a new lens for half RRP.

Don't worry. Take care of them, and enjoy those lenses. Tungsten Iridium Polarised is actually my current favourite lens. Don't change them!

I've been wearing a pair of Half Jackets with black iridium lenses that I bought around 4-5 years ago each day I go to work (i'm a Correctional Officer), they've been dropped, thrown, kicked, and had anything else you could ever imagine happen to them plus there were times when the only way to store them for a while was to just put them in the thigh pocket of my uniform. And I only have a couple little spots where the iridium has warn off the lense (both spost about the size of a pencil eraser) and I only have a couple minor scratches that you don't even notice unless you are paying close attention and looking for them.

I had my split jacket lenses scratched just yesterday. The thing is, i don't know where the scratch came from. My heart dropped on the floor when i saw it. I hope Oakley can find a remedy for this in the future. Accidents can happen anytime, to anyone.
Btw, do you guys think I can use a microfiber cloth to clean the Iridium lenses?

I've had 5 pairs over the course of almost 2 decades, and I've had one scratch on an Iridium lens in that time. I think if you're cautious, scratching shouldn't be an issue. I definitely would not leave them in the car though. Even if the air temperature outside is comfortable, it can get REALLY hot inside a parked car if the windows aren't open and the sun is shining. It's not worth chancing it.

Btw, do you guys think I can use a microfiber cloth to clean the Iridium lenses?

You can -- the microbags that come with your glasses are just micro fiber themselves.

Back