• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Juliet Replacement Lenses

- Oakley lenses are very very very fragile. As good as they are, they peel and degrade quite easily. Apparently even having a heart beat can cause stress fractures according to @tomtrucker. True Story!!!

To be fair, the Oakley lenses are no more fragile than other lenses as they utilise the same coating technologies that are universally used for all lenses in the eye wear industry. In fact, One must remember that there is a lifespan attached to every object sold to customers. Industry standards for any optical lenses are 2 years in general. The reason is a valid ophthalmic prescription should only last 2 years, so therefore the industry expectation is that the customers would renew prescriptions and eyewear every 2 years. Hence the underlying coating and lens fabrication technologies are made with that level of expectation.

Some lenses can last more than the said bare minimum expectation of 2 years, as many of us have found them to last 5, 10, or even 15 years depending on:
1. How we use them (eg. at the beach vs. in the car),
2. How we store them (eg. baked on the car dashboard daily or stored in an office desk drawer), and
3. The severity of the environment we subject them (eg. do we have a medical condition of acidosis or are we wearing it under excessive sweat exposure in sports)

Know that when you buy lenses of any kind, they have a lifespan and treat it as a consumable part of the product that need to be replaced at least once every 2 years; any more mileage you get out of it is a bonus and therefore you won't get disappointed. Buying an Oakley lens may or may not last longer than other aftermarket lenses, but know that Oakley is renowned for their patented technologies with optical lenses especially in the areas of functional Iridium mirror coatings that enhance your vision and deliver optical clarity and contrast rather than the typical selling points of UV protection and a fashion statement ("ooo Ii'm wearing a deep red lens!")

EDIT: forgot to mention, the Oakley lenses are also considerably thicker than most aftermarket lenses and as a result have very good impact protection for your eyes. Some aftermarket lenses are so thin and cheap in the construction of the lens material that the lenses would structurally fail even if you attempt to 'pop' a lens into the frame

Last edited:
To be fair, the Oakley lenses are no more fragile than other lenses as they utilise the same coating technologies that are universally used for all lenses in the eye wear industry. In fact, One must remember that there is a lifespan attached to every object sold to customers. Industry standards for any optical lenses are 2 years in general. The reason is a valid ophthalmic prescription should only last 2 years, so therefore the industry expectation is that the customers would renew prescriptions and eyewear every 2 years. Hence the underlying coating and lens fabrication technologies are made with that level of expectation.

Some lenses can last more than the said bare minimum expectation of 2 years, as many of us have found them to last 5, 10, or even 15 years depending on:
2. How we store them (eg. baked on the car dashboard daily or stored in an office desk drawer), and
3. The severity of the environment we subject them (eg. do we have a medical condition of acidosis or are we wearing it under excessive sweat exposure in sports)

Know that when you buy lenses of any kind, they have a lifespan and treat it as a consumable part of the product that need to be replaced at least once every 2 years; any more mileage you get out of it is a bonus and therefore you won't get disappointed. Buying an Oakley lens may or may not last longer than other aftermarket lenses, but know that Oakley is renowned for their patented technologies with optical lenses especially in the areas of functional Iridium mirror coatings that enhance your vision and deliver optical clarity and contrast rather than the typical selling points of UV protection and a fashion statement ("ooo Ii'm wearing a deep red lens!")

EDIT: forgot to mention, the Oakley lenses are also considerably thicker than most aftermarket lenses and as a result have very good impact protection for your eyes. Some aftermarket lenses are so thin and cheap in the construction of the lens material that the lenses would structurally fail even if you attempt to 'pop' a lens into the frame
What do you think about those NXT lenses man? Those things look crazy strong.

What do you think about those NXT lenses man? Those things look crazy strong.

I've not personally evaluated NXT lenses. I have a range of projects on my list and one of which is lens quality and spectro evaluation using lab gear. As it stands though, it's on low priority as I have a massive pipeline of projects delayed thanks to growing family commitments.

I personally believe in Oakley lenses because of it's proven technologies and qualities compared to other lenses I've came across (yes, i wear RX glasses and have handled lenses manufactured by other brands such as Hoya, Essilor, Shamir, and crappy generic brands). It is for this reason that I don't stock any other brands other than genuine Oakley lenses. You may pay more, not because the Oakley lenses are more scratch resistant, but rather you do so for the optical quality and visual enhancements

I've not personally evaluated NXT lenses. I have a range of projects on my list and one of which is lens quality and spectro evaluation using lab gear. As it stands though, it's on low priority as I have a massive pipeline of projects delayed thanks to growing family commitments.

I personally believe in Oakley lenses because of it's proven technologies and qualities compared to other lenses I've came across (yes, i wear RX glasses and have handled lenses manufactured by other brands such as Hoya, Essilor, Shamir, and crappy generic brands). It is for this reason that I don't stock any other brands other than genuine Oakley lenses. You may pay more, not because the Oakley lenses are more scratch resistant, but rather you do so for the optical quality and visual enhancements
Well put!

This is a "project" I'm working on that will hopefully done soon. These were "after market" comparable lenses I took an airsoft gun to. For those who don't know what "airsoft" is, it is a like a bb gun, except the bb's are made of a plastic material. The results below were from bb's that were .25g and were shot with an initial velocity of about 380 ft/sec at about 40ft distance. At impact their estimated speed would be about 320ft/sec (for reference a .22 bullet can range in speed from 1400-1800 ft/sec).

IMG_0784.JPG

I don't know what these were made of but I doubt polycarbonate. What you see his the result of multiple shots but the very first impact cracked the lenses heavily and the bb went through the lens. These lenses were mounted in a x-metal XX (fake) frame and after the first impact each lens popped out of the frame. One other thing to mention is that they were noticeably thinner than a typical XX lens.

Before these were "shot up" these lenses actually looked very good. They had a very stunning blue finish and looking at them from behind they had very nice clarity (to my eye). They had decent polarization too.

Morale of the story, beauty is only skin deep.

Back