• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley lens manufacturing

rzurzel

I should Work at Oakley
Poland
Hello people
Recently I've been doing research about putting custom lenses into my gen 2 racing jackets. Don't have to mention that of course the whole issue seems to be doomed. Anyway I've spoken to few opticians and all of them while we were talking said that "they would have to send my frame and lens to company that makes lens for Oakley". One of those guys even disclosed Shamir (or close to it) as THE company. My question is what's the deal with that outside manufacturing? Everybody seem to have inside info about external subcontractors and also have that annoying mocking face expression when Oakley name drops into the conversation.
There are tons of videos and info about Oakley's facility in CA and their manufacturing process and after listening to those wise guys I don't know if all the manufacturing PR is a BS or what? I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.

RZ, if you are talking about prescription lenses, then yes.... Oakley has partnered and use a lens very similar to the Shamir Autograph 2.... But that was a couple of years ago and may be different now. One of the RX labs shut down last year... I believe it was in Ireland so the USA lab is working big overtime to not only handle European RX but also the USA RX. It is a **** show.

As for custom lenses.... For standard sunglasses that would be in house at Oakley.

RZ, if you are talking about prescription lenses, then yes.... Oakley has partnered and use a lens very similar to the Shamir Autograph 2.... But that was a couple of years ago and may be different now. One of the RX labs shut down last year... I believe it was in Ireland so the USA lab is working big overtime to not only handle European RX but also the USA RX. It is a **** show.

As for custom lenses.... For standard sunglasses that would be in house at Oakley.
Thanks Trader. I was referring to regular sun lens, I just wanted to put some fresh tints into my frames. Those guys new what I was talking about. Maybe they saw me wearing my regular prescription lenses and assumed that I'm blind and need to have eye correction. I've got astigmatism in my left eye and of course if I could get base 8 prescription lens with ruby tint I would be delighted, yet I doubt that such a lens is even possible to manufacture and if it is the price would be sick.
Again thank you for putting some light on the issue.

Thanks Trader. I was referring to regular sun lens, I just wanted to put some fresh tints into my frames. Those guys new what I was talking about. Maybe they saw me wearing my regular prescription lenses and assumed that I'm blind and need to have eye correction. I've got astigmatism in my left eye and of course if I could get base 8 prescription lens with ruby tint I would be delighted, yet I doubt that such a lens is even possible to manufacture and if it is the price would be sick.
Again thank you for putting some light on the issue.

Base 8.75 ruby rx true digital is possible. You'll have to get it via opticians though.

Base 8.75 ruby rx true digital is possible. You'll have to get it via opticians though.
Thanks. I'll stick to regular sun lenses. People here say that few models are matching donors so it's just a matter of funds.

I've got plenty of ruby donors. Which frame are you trying to fit?
Racing jacket 1st and 2nd generation. I've seen plenty of donors-that's not the problem. Thing is that one cutter of this forum needs to have my frames to fit the lenses but the cost of lenses + labor + shipping is crazy so sending frames to generate additional costs would be just insane. I've contacted other guy and asked if he has RJs in hand to avoid sending mine and I'm waiting for reply. I'm also looking for a optician locally who would cut my lens. Exploring my options so when the right time comes I can act
I've got plenty of ruby donors. Which frame are you trying to fit?
I've sent you a PM

Latest Posts

Back