• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Lens tint for Pilots

i'm not convinced Ruby is any good as it distorts colors into a blue hue - you've enough blue in the sky already so why make it more difficult to pick out the clouds etc?

If it's anything to go by with snow goggles, everything is rose-tinted with most offerings appearing to have VR28 base. For example all the PRIZM snow goggles are rose tint when looked through and supposedly deliver better visual clarity of snow contours. I'm no pilot, but i'd assume the glare of snow and the fluffy white clouds would be similar and likewise with what you'd want to achieve is to have better depth perception (and thus make out details of the clouds).

VR28 Black Irid would be my recommended lens to test with, followed by probably Sapphire Irid as it blocks out a lot of blues. If you want the effect of green-tinted lenses similar to G15, then the Oakley variants that deliver green hues are Fire Irid or Violet Irid.

G30 is golf specific lens and it's tuned to highlight green turf of a golf field, so unless you're landing in a grassy patch i wouldn't recommend using them in the sky.

Latest Posts

Back