• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley lenses easily scratched?

Seacow2001

Oakley Beginner
Hello everyone,

I recently (yesterday) bought my second pair of Oakley, my first being a C-wire 3 years ago. This pair being the half jacket with black iridium, and I even went ahead and bought an extra pair of jade iridium polarize lens. Taking out of the carrying case it came with today, I noticed both my black iridium (in the glasses) and the jade iridium have small scratches on it!! I have not even wear it anywhere rough, just coming back from the store I bought them from. I bought the sports frame in order to play sports, hike, and ride bike in. How can they be tough for sports if they are so easily scratched? Are the lens defective? What can I do to prevent it from being scratch? Should I even use the case that it came with because I'm thinking the case scratched the lenses.

Thank you in advance for your advice. I'm very disappointed to say the least.

What case did you store them in? I store mine in the oakely cases that have teh soft brushed lining inside them. Also if not in a case, I store mine in the provided microfiber cleaning baggy.....

Can you post some pics of the scratches?

Just want to also add, I find that the ruby iridium lenses scratch most easily.....

Polycarbonate lenses will scratch. Even with a higher end lens with an anti scratch film, it will happen. Highly reflective lenses will show scratches most easily. 24k, Ruby, Chrome etc...

Glass lenses will hold to be more durable in that regard although not shatter proof.

There is only one way to mitigate scratches. Do not every touch the lenses or allow anything else to come in contact. The exception would be when you use a specialized cleaning solution, a specialty microfiber cloth dabbing the lenses clean, never rubbed, ever.

It is rare I would even rub the lenses clean or use anything besides a clean microfiber. I would prefer they stay dirty.

And they're either on my face or in a microfiber pouch. There is not much in between.

I will try to get you guys some pics. I guess what I'm angry at is, how are these tough durable lens/sunglasses when they scratch and I have no idea what caused them??

Wash your microfiber pouches, they collect dirt that could scratch the lenses while bein stowed away.

Admittedly, I have no idea how you have brand new lenses that have scratches and no wear time. something is missing.

Did u examine the lenses in the store before you paid? Is it possible they were there before you bought them?

i did one time buy an ink black/jade crankshaft from oakley's website that showed up with one small scratch about 2mm long on the corner of one of the lenses.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I tried to get you guys pictures using my phone and then my DSLR but I could not get any good pictures. I have attached those that I was able to take. They are from the jade iridium lens. I was not able to get any good picture of the scratches on the black iridium. I think it is due to the mirror covering.

I looked at the black iridium thoroughly. I guess the saving grace is that these scratches are very small. I had to actually look for them at home in order to find them. The jade iridium polarize I did not looked at as it was in its box, has a superficial line through the lens. The top of the lense is scuffed. Like its been used but I was told its new. These I notes after bringing it out of the Oakley case and the box. I have never used these prior to finding these scuff/scratch.

I guess the scratches on the lens itself did not show up, but the scuff on top of the lens did. Sorry guys, don't know how to get better pictures.

image.jpg

On this one, you can sort of see the scratch at the 9 o'clock position of the fan and light.

As mentioned, the polycarbonate of which Oakley's lenses are made is lighter and will not shatter like glass, but it does scratch more easily.

However it's actually the iridium coating that's most sensitive to scratching.

Normally I put mine in their MF bags before putting in the case, but you shouldn't need to do that with the case you have pictured. I use a similar case with radarlocks and have no problems with the foam causing scratches (at least yet...)

Perhaps some grit got in the case / on the foam.

Well if there is grit in the case, what can I do? I was actually happy I got the case because I am traveling in a few days or so and was hoping I can bring the case with me. If there is nothing I can do then I might as well just bring my old hollow oakley case along.

Latest Posts

Back