• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley M Frame 12 gauge

• Thread starter Deleted member 11299
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11299

Seeing photos of M Frame lenses that were on the wrong side of a shotgun. Oakley advertised that an M Frame can resist a 12 gauge shotgun at 15 yards. I'm assuming they were using birdshot and not buck? Anyone know the details? Please feel free to share photos of some shell rattled lenses too.

Not all M Frames are created equal. Maybe you heard the shotgun thing about Ballistic M Frames. There used to be a video floating around on YouTube of a guy blasting some M frames.

Found it:

Oakley vs. Shotgun:

It's worth noting Oakley doesn't claim their lenses can withstand the blast from a gun at close range.

No mention of the shot used, but judging by the size of the pellets I'd say it was birdshot. Buckshot would have tore those suckers up and the wood behind it, lol. Thanks for the video!

Read more: Oakley M Frame 12 gauge | Oakley Forum

No mention of the shot used

It says on the video he was 14 feet away and the shell was a 12 guage 2 3/4" 3 dram 1 1/8oz #7.5
To my knowledge, that's just target load. I don't think it would make too much difference really though what type it is but then again I'm no hunter...

Maybe that helps

It says on the video he was 14 feet away and the shell was a 12 guage 2 3/4" 3 dram 1 1/8oz #7.5
To my knowledge, that's just target load. I don't think it would make too much difference really though what type it is but then again I'm no hunter...

Maybe that helps

Thanks it does. I didn't see/read that, just watched the video. A target load is basically birdshot. It makes a big difference the shell used. Buck verse birdshot is like someone throwing pebbles at you or someone throwing rocks. With much more devastating results of course, lol. 000 buck would destroy them and the wood post at that distance. Still impressively resistant even with a bird/target load.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks it does. I didn't see/read that, just watched the video. A target load is basically birdshot. It makes a big difference the shell used. Buck verse birdshot is like someone throwing pebbles at you or someone throwing rocks. With much more devastating results of course, lol. 000 buck would destroy them and the wood post at that distance. Still impressively resistant even with a bird/target load.
Fact of the matter is, birdshot or buckshot, the parts of your face not covered by those lenses are done for at that range.

There's another video out there, I think by Revision Eyewear, showing the M Frame getting destroyed while their Sawfly stands up. But you need to note the wad and bulk of the shot hits the M Frame while the Sawfly gets peripheral hits.

There's another video out there, I think by Revision Eyewear, showing the M Frame getting destroyed while their Sawfly stands up. But you need to note the wad and bulk of the shot hits the M Frame while the Sawfly gets peripheral hits.
And revision are UGLY frames... I have a Hellfly and I'm sure glad I didn't pay a penny for em... They fit badly... Look awful but I AM confident that they'll hold up to many impacts...

This is the video.

You can clearly tell they're comparing a 90% hit to a 30% or less hit. At that range a target load won't have much spread, maybe 3" or so, so it would be pretty easy to control the impact of the center of the pattern that's still pretty much with the wad.

Latest Posts

Back