• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley M2 Frame

kodiak71

Oakley Beginner
Haven't had time to scan the whole forum but I thought I read somewhere that Oakely is discontinuing the tried and true original Oakley M2 Frame. Is this true? Why? And how soon? I've got several pairs of frames and I'm going to need to buy extra lenses if this is true. Sorry if I'm asking an obvious question. Does this also apply to the original M Frame?

Paul

The original M Frame was discontinued in the 90's. As was its second generation replacement. The 3rd gen folding is now relegated to industrial and military sales for safety eyewear. Replacement sun lenses have all but dried up from Oakley.

The M2 is a disappointment to me in a big way.

Yeah if anything the M2 is starting to become more established in the Oakley catalog. They've suddenly put out a wider lens selection. For a while it was just the Asian Fit lens in 4 tints on the site, and before that was just sourcing from an OCP retailer. This is happening as the original M selection has been reduced and the M2XL is bound for release like already mentioned.

How so?
Inquiring minds and all that...
The fit is terrible, the stems are too short and don't have enough grip, the wings are design only without any real function to enhance the hammer shape of the curvature, there's no lens selection, it has the low-brow fit of the Radars.

It does nothing better than the outgoing M Frame and does several things worse. A frame update was probably necessary, but they killed 25 years of M Frame with a pair that looks like a poor attempt at modernization.

I'd also contend the pair is functionally worse, and aside from the ability to use the strap has ZERO advantages over the old design.

They had the 2.0 and 3.0, which sell like hotcakes, use the same lens pool, and have great feature-added designs; instead of basing the M2 off the flat-stem, low profile, tight fit of the military pairs they made a completely new pair with a terrible looking lens, no lens options...

I could keep going, but suffice it to say it's a HUGE disappointment. I really hope the M2XL is an actual LARGER lens and not just 5mm of added height nose-to-brow like the Radarlock XL (the Radar XL at least has a unique shape and isn't just a tall Pitch).

In celebration of the M I wore a pair with Slash lenses yesterday. Felt so good.

Back