• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Mad Science Lab Door!

Medusa50

I own Oakley
East Coast
Ok, so we all have tons of Oakley stuff around the house. How many people have their own Mad Science Laboratory? I decided since they don't make one I'll make my own. The first part of this is my new lab door which I just finished today. What's behind the door? You'll have to wait. This is just the first part, "O"verboard as usual. Ah ha ha!!!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I am guessing a bathroom...
Not a bathroom but now that I've used this metal reactive paint I'm thinking of doing something like this on the wall with a beaten copper sink and some crazy lights on the wall. It will hurt the resale value but I could care less. I think it's cool!

Ooooh! So this is what you were talking about. Awesome job with the Metal Effects Rust Paint on that door! Would be cooler if the rivets and the frame were rusted as well. Also check out the photos below. That pipe handle would be perfect for the door and the lighting fixture would look awesome inside :)

il_570xN.716025290_cs9h.jpg

light.jpg

Last edited:
Ooooh! So this is what you were talking about. Awesome job with the Metal Effects Rust Paint on that door! Would be cooler if the rivets and the frame were rusted as well. Also check out the photos below. That pipe handle would be perfect for the door and the lighting fixture would look awesome inside :)

View attachment 177042

View attachment 177043
That's perfect. The light is killer.

The paint was $80 a gallon. Between the primer, top coat, activator and clear sealer it cost $260.00 maybe I should collect paint cans. Almost as expensive as collecting Oakleys!:lolsign:

Did you consume all that paint just for the door? Or did you use it for other stuff as well? Also, is it just the photo or did the top coat mute the rust color effect to a darker hue?

I bought a gallon of primer and a gallon of the rust paint. I wanted it for other projects too. I probably used a pint of primer and a quart of the rust paint. The paint is as thick as wheel bearing grease. Has the same smell as head bolts or main caps when you disassemble an engine. Ventilation is a must. Originally the rust was powdered orange and brown. The sealer gave it a glossy finish and darkened all the colors. It looks like polished wood in spots. I achieved the effect by spraying the activator heavier in certain areas and allowing it to run down. Then I brushed it to blend it in. I wanted more color but after a while I stopped. I would recommend experimenting on a smaller piece till you get the effect you want.

Back