• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
Full disclosure, I was looking for other people with made-in-china oakley issues so I got here and I have to add my experience with oakley & rayban (luxottica's top cash cows).

I too have no issue whatsoever if a product is made on this planet or otherwise although I've always wanted oakleys thinking they were made in the US of A.

However, I want my money's worth and I'm sure you do too.

Still, even if I'm paying oakley/luxittica USA-made labor for a product that's made in china, I still wouldn't be here IF my $400 Oakley RX frames didn't lose their paint in less than a month of regular use.

To boot, a Rayban RX wayfarer of mine just snapped in less than 6 months of use.

I have no idea which is worst now... The fact that my rayban is said to be out of warranty (beyond 6 months when I brought them to the shop I bought them from in the PHilippines), or the fact that luxottica has made it so hard to know that these products are made in china (something that would have made me go all the way to the nth though before buying them at this price range).

So yeah, apparently the quality didn't follow the brand when it got moved to china.

Here's my pics and more details about this: http://www.topten.ph/2014/08/17/ultimate-guide-buying-eyewear-philippines/

Full disclosure, I was looking for other people with made-in-china oakley issues so I got here and I have to add my experience with oakley & rayban (luxottica's top cash cows).

I too have no issue whatsoever if a product is made on this planet or otherwise although I've always wanted oakleys thinking they were made in the US of A.

However, I want my money's worth and I'm sure you do too.

Still, even if I'm paying oakley/luxittica USA-made labor for a product that's made in china, I still wouldn't be here IF my $400 Oakley RX frames didn't lose their paint in less than a month of regular use.

To boot, a Rayban RX wayfarer of mine just snapped in less than 6 months of use.

I have no idea which is worst now... The fact that my rayban is said to be out of warranty (beyond 6 months when I brought them to the shop I bought them from in the PHilippines), or the fact that luxottica has made it so hard to know that these products are made in china (something that would have made me go all the way to the nth though before buying them at this price range).

So yeah, apparently the quality didn't follow the brand when it got moved to china.

Here's my pics and more details about this: http://www.topten.ph/2014/08/17/ultimate-guide-buying-eyewear-philippines/
Man that's terrible... i read your page also. :(

I feel for u. It is tough to comment on because it has been covered here many times and I'll b accused of" beating a dead horse". One has only to compare half jacket 1 to 2.0 tosee and feel the difference. I wishI had something constructive here ... It is sad this extends to rx frames people NEED. I know my straight jackets from USA literally weigh more than newer pair from china. I just don't see the Lux machine slowing down from mowing down what is left of Oakley. I save more $ at least this wAy ... Sorry for all this.

You mean to tell me that if I were to order some SI Gascans, that they would be manufactured in China or someplace other than the USA? News to me, seriously, and it sucks. Not sure I can pay $200 for imported sunglasses. ESPECIALLY can't understand how they could attach the SI name to Chinese glasses...the military should require them to be of US origin.

You mean to tell me that if I were to order some SI Gascans, that they would be manufactured in China or someplace other than the USA? News to me, seriously, and it sucks. Not sure I can pay $200 for imported sunglasses. ESPECIALLY can't understand how they could attach the SI name to Chinese glasses...the military should require them to be of US origin.
NSN listed products are required to be of US origin if originally procured that way. Gascans, albeit "SI" are not issued eyewear.

Also... And maybe it is just me but I think for example the matte black si halfs, Flaks and sj's are still of sturdier quality and better than non si even if parts are from Asia. It may just be me but... Seems like it the Matte black grey half jacket for example seems way less flimsy than polished black for mainstream.

Man that's terrible... i read your page also. :(

Thanks to everyone who felt the pain with me... I'm sure there are many out there who has experienced the same thing as I've searched on it and there are still very many people who have no clue that many of these products are now made in china and the quality of have degraded severely.

So yeah, we all better try to educate as many as we can because i'm sure as the sun rises that not many have the capacity to just forget about their hard earned money invested on these.

I live in Canada and I've been to oakley HQ 3 times now. It's the Mecca for oakley fans. Once all operations move to Asia there will be no use for for the HQ, They'll sell it because that's what they do, make money. Go see it while it's still oakley. While Americans are "planking" and "twerking" Asia is secretly kicking ass and staying in school longer.

Back