• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
I'm hoping they realized that only 1 out of 72 Ti print frames were actually marginally usable. So they scrapped that crap and are currently converting an old golf club manufacturing plant to pump 1.21 jiggawats thru a furnace to make them the right way.

I'm hoping they realized that only 1 out of 72 Ti print frames were actually marginally usable. So they scrapped that crap and are currently converting an old golf club manufacturing plant to pump 1.21 jiggawats thru a furnace to make them the right way.
Oh! If that's the case, I am cautiously hopeful with what Oakley will put out.

Where did you read this ? Care to share ?

titanium printing with EBM really could do a perfect job replicating this. and sure, during prototyping there would be a number of bad frames, once a god frame was turned out, the following frames would be all withing the five 9's ratio of correctness.

rather the new Oakley would ever produce them, at any realistic price, for mainstream, is doubtful. Just guessing based off of what i have seen custom manufacturing of Ti headers and stuff cost. if they sold all of the pairs they 3d printed, they covered ALL of the engineering and manufacturing costs of the pairs they made, and profited nicely.

@Necrodoommonkey That's cool.

My thought are that the 1875 refer to the elements used in creating the 3D printed X-metal thus the name ... 1875 X-Metal. Both Argon and Rhenium are used in the metal 3D printing process. If you look at any other industrial alloys they always have a number or name associated with the blend or process used to create the alloy. I used to work in the mountain bike industry and frames that were made out of steel used Chromoly tube sets like 4130 Chromoly (Reynolds 525 and 725) or aluminum tubes like Aluminum (6061 and 7005).

Boxed cigars is a cooler reference though :) Is there any link between the cigars you posted and Michael Jordan and the Bulls ?
The Romeo and Juliet X-Metal are named after the cigars Romeo Y Juliet which Jim is so fond of, afaik.

Jordan is a big cigar guy, but his favorite is the Partagas Lusitanias. Jim must like the Romeo y Julietas. I’m a big fan of RYJ Churchill’s myself

Back