• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Penny Polished No Serial Number

Felipe de Lucca

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys,

I bought my penny on ebay probably 9,10 years ago. Paid $200 i think, it only came with the microbag. It always looked authentic for me, but i wanted to really make sure it is. What you guys think?

20141015_121706_resized.jpg
20141015_121725_resized.jpg
20141015_121812_resized.jpg
20141015_121819_resized.jpg
20141015_121832_resized.jpg
20141015_121840_resized.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good to me, plus if you bought it that long ago, it wouldn't be fake, they were not that rare back then. That's a pretty Penny

Serial number on the inside of the left ear stem?

Oakley X-Metal sunglasses made after about December 2004 do not have these serial numbers, but most (but not all) vintage Oakley sunglasses made prior to that date do have them. Each serial number has a prefix which identifies the frame and lens color combination:

It's possible that the frame is a warranty frame, many of which came without serial numbers. Given the known weakness of the spring hinges on the penny its also fairly likely it was serviced at some point. It's also possible that the serial number wore off, or was polished off if someone tried to re-polish it before selling it. The early serial numbers were known for not being as durable as later generations, so sometimes they'll fade to the point that you can't even see them, or you can only see them from very exact angles.

Having said all that I don't see anything wrong with that frame that would cast doubt on its authenticity. Beautiful frame that I wish I could fit my head in to.

Hey guys...other day i was going to clean the lens because there was some dirty in the inside part of the lens. I just used the oakley microbag and it started to peel off a layer. Just weird...it doesnt appears from the outside and doesnt affect the vision. What happened?

20141128_122111.jpg

It looks like a delamination of the lens, since older lenses came with a hydrophobic coating (oleo) looks like the coating may be peeling off due to the age of the lens. ive seen that on my 1st gen juliet lenses. Hope that helps.

Back