• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Penny - X - Metal Refinished - Aftermarket Wiggly Lenses - Fix

NashCasten

Oakley Enthusiast
Got the Oakley Penny Yesterday
I'm fairly satisfied with it.

The blasted finish was great 10/10
Rubbers were aftermarket Linegear (Black) and Red (Walleva) 7/10 because they're not OEM.
Lenses were by Walleva 8/10 closer inspection last night there was a sticky rubber placed inside the frame so that the lenses wont wiggle. I removed them because they were making the lenses sticky and dirty. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take a photo of it.

However that made the lenses wiggle like crazy when you're cleaning it

2016-03-16 09.45.32.jpg

2016-03-16 09.45.45.jpg

So I ended up fixing it it today. I learned this fix from Oakley Warranty when I got my first Juliet serviced because the lenses were wiggling a week after i purchased them. Believe it or not these were out of the box fresh and new Juliet's.

They inserted a small piece of plastic fishing line inside the lens.

2016-03-16 12.32.58.jpg

2016-03-16 12.33.05.jpg
2016-03-16 12.33.13.jpg

Got the Oakley Penny Yesterday
I'm fairly satisfied with it.

The blasted finish was great 10/10
Rubbers were aftermarket Linegear (Black) and Red (Walleva) 7/10 because they're not OEM.
Lenses were by Walleva 8/10 closer inspection last night there was a sticky rubber placed inside the frame so that the lenses wont wiggle. I removed them because they were making the lenses sticky and dirty. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take a photo of it.

However that made the lenses wiggle like crazy when you're cleaning it

View attachment 230842

View attachment 230843
So I ended up fixing it it today. I learned this fix from Oakley Warranty when I got my first Juliet serviced because the lenses were wiggling a week after i purchased them. Believe it or not these were out of the box fresh and new Juliet's.

They inserted a small piece of plastic fishing line inside the lens.

View attachment 230844

View attachment 230845 View attachment 230846

Thank you @NashCasten. A handy method I wouldn't have thought about. Which also is 'invisible' to the naked eye and is better than pieces of paper or card.

The finish on those Penny's looks good. Thanks for sharing a tip on how to make lenses fit better if they are too small.

Nice pair. Why are you selling it now?

Dont get me wrong I love the frames but the aftermarket lenses for the lack of better term are (Sh%t).

I think I'm having buyers remorse because of the lenses.

But yeah I might decide to keep it and just get Donor Lenses re-cut to fit the frame.

Any chance you guys know if i can us oakley flak jacket or oakley flak jacket xlj (8.75 base) lenses as donors for my penny?

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong I love the frames but the aftermarket lenses for the lack of better term are (Sh%t).

I think I'm having buyers remorse because of the lenses.

But yeah I might decide to keep it and just get Donor Lenses re-cut to fit the frame.

Any chance you guys know if i can us oakley flak jacket or oakley flak jacket xlj (8.75 base) lenses as donors for my penny?
Yeah, let me summon @Chris A Hardaway for you lol...

@Nash, yes you can use either of those flak and flak jacket xlj options! Plenty of colors available. PS, fishing line isn't sticky so that's cool! I wonder if this is what was used before...

Chris thanks for the guidance I really appreciate it.

I was actually thinking of a using a silicone base adhesive to line the edges of the lens before inserting them on the frame. But i didn't want to risk damaging the frames, in theory it shouldn't but I don't have the heart to play mad scientist right now. hahahaha...

Back