• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Prescription Frames (metal Plate)

Daniel ponder

Oakley Expert
Richmond, Va
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the oakley metal plates RX frames and spotting fakes. I was looking around on the forum and didnt see anything else about them really. I am looking on ebay at these, but want to make sure I am getting the real thing. These frames normally run in the 250-280 range from what I can tell. Any help or info is appreciated. I am posting the link to them below. By the way I am a new member and if this post in the wrong spot please excuse me.

Oakley Metal Plate Eyeglasses Matte Black OX5038 0553 53mm New w Oakley Case | eBay

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the oakley metal plates RX frames and spotting fakes. I was looking around on the forum and didnt see anything else about them really. I am looking on ebay at these, but want to make sure I am getting the real thing. These frames normally run in the 250-280 range from what I can tell. Any help or info is appreciated. I am posting the link to them below. By the way I am a new member and if this post in the wrong spot please excuse me.

Oakley Metal Plate Eyeglasses Matte Black OX5038 0553 53mm New w Oakley Case | eBay

They're real. I have them in my store currently and everything noted makes sense. MSRP is $250 so that's a steal. I think it is far more seldom to see fake RX glasses because its a much smaller market in comparison to the sunglass end of Oakley. You should be fine.

Also, Welcome to the forum!

They're real. I have them in my store currently and everything noted makes sense. MSRP is $250 so that's a steal. I think it is far more seldom to see fake RX glasses because its a much smaller market in comparison to the sunglass end of Oakley. You should be fine.

Also, Welcome to the forum!

Actually is quite the opposite, Counterfeits of RX frames are VERY easy to get and are far more likely to pass as reals. I know places online right now where you can order near 1:1 knock offs of nearly every RX frames and ebay is loaded with them. I do part time work doing Brand Protection for another major company and have had to deal with the sources of counterfeits and unfortunately not only can you get my companies products but i see TONS of Oakley. Counterfeits are getting better and better, and as i said before because the RX community is so small most go un-noticed. The other thing i have personally noticed is that from what i can tell Oakley does not monitor RX stuff nearly as much as sunglasses. I have heard that Oakley also does not warranty RX the way they do the sunglasses either, so that could be why its not monitored as heavy.

I have personally purchased a fake RX frame from ebay sadly, the only reason I even found out it wasn't real is when i was at my eye doctor recently buying replacement frames i went and picked up a pair like mine and could tell that the rubber was a better quality than the one i had. The Omatter felt identical. The other thing that was noticed is that the ear-stems had some plastic clips that were a lighter shade of grey than the reals. Other than that there was little to know difference For whatever reason the Chinese have issues duplicating rubber, the product that my company sells has a rubber "shell" that fits around a polycarb casing and counterfeits always have a lower quality thinner rubber.

One thing i have learned with RX on ebay, Alot of them are fake, alot of them are Samples(and usually say it on the arm)

If you look at that guys feedback, yes he has a ton of positive due to his shear volume, but if you look at his negs and neutrals they are almost all the same "item not real" "fake" ect. You would think that it would be a mix of that and stuff like "slow ship" , "bad customer service" ect. But its a majority saying that the items weren't real.

It may not look like many compared to his positives but think of it this way. If you randomly picked 100 people off the street and handed them each a pair of some of the best counterfeit Okley's made, how many out of that 100 do you think would even have an iota of a clue? Id be willing to guess not many. The same holds true with my companies product (and we have actually done this test with results that were scary).

The vast majority of the people buying these sadly do not look at Oakley forums like we do and would not know a fake pair if it hit them in the face, so as far as they are concerned if they got a bargain and their RX lenses were able to be put in (which usually has no issues even in counterfeits as i found with mine) They are happy and tend to leave a good feeback, and sadly most buyers leave a positive so fast after receiving an item that by the time they realize its a fake they have already left a plus.

I apologize if this has been long winded.

One last thing to consider about RX frames, all of them that are sent to eye doctors come with some form of Oakley case. EVERY pair i have ever purchased directly from lenscrafter has come with an Oakley branded case. One way just to play it a little safer is just to stay away from anything without a case, box ect. even that is not full proof but it will filter out alot. Just read through ALL the feedbacks and see what others say , dont just go by the "99.7, 99.8" ect, because if it is a volume seller that number will be heavily skewed.

Actually is quite the opposite, Counterfeits of RX frames are VERY easy to get and are far more likely to pass as reals. I know places online right now where you can order near 1:1 knock offs of nearly every RX frames and ebay is loaded with them. I do part time work doing Brand Protection for another major company and have had to deal with the sources of counterfeits and unfortunately not only can you get my companies products but i see TONS of Oakley. Counterfeits are getting better and better, and as i said before because the RX community is so small most go un-noticed. The other thing i have personally noticed is that from what i can tell Oakley does not monitor RX stuff nearly as much as sunglasses. I have heard that Oakley also does not warranty RX the way they do the sunglasses either, so that could be why its not monitored as heavy.

I have personally purchased a fake RX frame from ebay sadly, the only reason I even found out it wasn't real is when i was at my eye doctor recently buying replacement frames i went and picked up a pair like mine and could tell that the rubber was a better quality than the one i had. The Omatter felt identical. The other thing that was noticed is that the ear-stems had some plastic clips that were a lighter shade of grey than the reals. Other than that there was little to know difference For whatever reason the Chinese have issues duplicating rubber, the product that my company sells has a rubber "shell" that fits around a polycarb casing and counterfeits always have a lower quality thinner rubber.

One thing i have learned with RX on ebay, Alot of them are fake, alot of them are Samples(and usually say it on the arm)

If you look at that guys feedback, yes he has a ton of positive due to his shear volume, but if you look at his negs and neutrals they are almost all the same "item not real" "fake" ect. You would think that it would be a mix of that and stuff like "slow ship" , "bad customer service" ect. But its a majority saying that the items weren't real.

It may not look like many compared to his positives but think of it this way. If you randomly picked 100 people off the street and handed them each a pair of some of the best counterfeit Okley's made, how many out of that 100 do you think would even have an iota of a clue? Id be willing to guess not many. The same holds true with my companies product (and we have actually done this test with results that were scary).

The vast majority of the people buying these sadly do not look at Oakley forums like we do and would not know a fake pair if it hit them in the face, so as far as they are concerned if they got a bargain and their RX lenses were able to be put in (which usually has no issues even in counterfeits as i found with mine) They are happy and tend to leave a good feeback, and sadly most buyers leave a positive so fast after receiving an item that by the time they realize its a fake they have already left a plus.

One last thing to consider about RX frames, all of them that are sent to eye doctors come with some form of Oakley case. EVERY pair i have ever purchased directly from lenscrafter has come with an Oakley branded case. One way just to play it a little safer is just to stay away from anything without a case, box ect. even that is not full proof but it will filter out alot. Just read through ALL the feedbacks and see what others say , dont just go by the "99.7, 99.8" ect, because if it is a volume seller that number will be heavily skewed.
All really interesting information man. Thanks for all that. Wasn't aware it had gotten so bad

Rexx,
Thanks for the info too. I had already ordered them before I went back and saw your post...guess I'll have to wait and see and go compare them to a pair at the store and if fake I'll try to send them back. On your prescription ones you had did you have any problems getting lenses made for them? Anything to look for on them you may be aware of from your experience? Like serial numbers or anything?

Rexx,
Thanks for the info too. I had already ordered them before I went back and saw your post...guess I'll have to wait and see and go compare them to a pair at the store and if fake I'll try to send them back. On your prescription ones you had did you have any problems getting lenses made for them?

None, Lenscrafter sure as heck had no clue. I had them for a good 3 months before i realized it. had i never been in there getting my new pair i would had never noticed.

Back