• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley prescription lens quality vs other premium lens how do they compare ?

Markee

Oakley Beginner
Just wondering how Oakley prescription lens quality compares to some of the other premium lens out there like Varilux , Zeiss and how there AR coating also compares to top of the line high priced products like Crizal saphhire 360 , Zeiss Pure Coat and so on ?

I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses and a normal everyday pair of progressive glasses and just trying to figure out which is the best way to go is all ?

Last edited:
Just wondering how Oakley prescription lens quality compares to some of the other premium lens out there like Varilux , Zeiss and how there AR coating also compares to top of the line high priced products like Crizal saphhire 360 , Zeiss Pure Coat and so on ?

I'm in the market for a new pair of sunglasses and a normal everyday pair of progressive glasses and just trying to figure out which is the best way to go is all ?
Oakley is owned by Luxottica-Essilor. Essilor is the lens maker, Luxottica the frames.
Point is crizal is made by Essilor. So the stealth Oakley A/R is really just a backside crizal EZ coating. Like a crizal sunshield.
But if you are looking at clear or Transitions in an optical frame no need to use oakley Rx if u like ur Varilux. Ps- crizal SAPPHIRE is amazing! Highly recommend using the sapphire. I want to live Zeiss but I don't. My mom got a purecoat plus AR on her lenses and they were worn out in 18 months. Crizal Avance for her lasts years you years. I hope my early morning ramble helps!

Last edited:
Oakley is owned by Luxottica-Essilor. Essilor is the lens maker, Luxottica the frames.
Point is crizal is made by Essilor. So the stealth Oakley A/R is really just a backside crizal EZ coating. Like a crizal sunshield.
But if you are looking at clear or Transitions in an optical frame no need to use oakley Rx if u like ur Varilux. Ps- crizal SAPPHIRE is amazing! Highly recommend using the sapphire. I want to live Zeiss but I don't. My mom got a purecoat plus AR on her lenses and they were work out in 18 months. Crizal Avance for her lasts years you years. I hope my early morning ramble helps!
Lol....texting with only one eye open again huh?!

Yeah thanks for the reply I almost forgot Luxottica bought up Oakley and almost everything else including most all there competition.

Any Isea what I should expect to pay for some Essilor Varilux High Index Progressive lens with Crizal Saphhire for a pair of clear everyday wear glasses and any suggestions on where I should get them at ?

I live work in South Florida as a fire Extinguisher guy driving around all day in some serious sun down here going from business to business checking there fire extinguishers. Last time I checked Transitions didn't work so great in and out of your car so unless something changed I'll be needing some shades also still trying to figure my best all around options and frames for my particular script -6.25 ?
Any suggestions are welcome ?

Yeah thanks for the reply I almost forgot Luxottica bought up Oakley and almost everything else including most all there competition.

Any Isea what I should expect to pay for some Essilor Varilux High Index Progressive lens with Crizal Saphhire for a pair of clear everyday wear glasses and any suggestions on where I should get them at ?

I live work in South Florida as a fire Extinguisher guy driving around all day in some serious sun down here going from business to business checking there fire extinguishers. Last time I checked Transitions didn't work so great in and out of your car so unless something changed I'll be needing some shades also still trying to figure my best all around options and frames for my particular script -6.25 ?
Any suggestions are welcome ?
Great questions. Being a -6.25 makes frames selection difficult, and simple. Let me explain: it's simple because you won't have many choices to be honest. Difficult because those wrap around sporty styles you've been liking at are not an option.

Generally the smaller and the more flat the better... If you have a smaller face/head... Great! If you have a bigger face/head this can be difficult.

I'd go something more like a RB2132 Ray Ban New Wayfarer in a size 55 if you're average height/build. Or other similar brands that see nicer would be like a Hugo Boss, or John Varvatos ($$$).

Lenses don't be surprised to find a great lens like Varilux Physio W3+ , 1.67 high index, and Saphhire A/R should be in the $600 range (don't get suckered into transitions, unless you like them for in and out at work... They really aren't for driving)... I'd work hard to call around and find out who does Varilux/Sapphire (if they don't know what you are talking about RUN! Away). When you find those places it's time to negotiate... 35-40% off a complete 2nd pair of sunglasses isn't unheard of.

Don't take a 15% off second pair deal unless you really trust and get a good/confident/patient vibe from the staff.

Good luck!

Yeah I called around today anything that was opened on Sundays starting with Lenscrafters Target all the big chair optical stores that carry Oakley I was surprised none of them even carry Sapphire ar I thought for sure LensCrafters would be carried them but after calling a few of there stores they defiantly do not carry Sapphire They do carry some lower end Crizal ar and wanted ridiculous price like $800 after 40% off discounts just for the lens alone
I called and talked to www.sportrx.com/ I don't know if you seen them before but they review alot of new shades on there Youtube channel doing back like 10yrs they send me a list of some of there recommended frames for my script below even they don't even carry Sapphire. Then I went to Oakley store mall and checked out everything inperson not easy to pick-out frames but kinda like the Oakley Crosslink Fit for clear glasses.

Seems Essilor has some kind of lens promo second pair free but the way I'm reading it I don't think I can make it work for what I need they want you to buy 2 pair what they call Transitions Signature GEN 8 clear lens only think it excludes tinted lens ?
www.essilorusa.com/get-lenses/special-offers#/
Tomorrow I'll search there site and call there site recommended local eye-care providers and do some wheeling and dealing see If i can get someone to make that promo work for me :)

Know anything about ZEISS DuraVision Platinum ?

Rudy Project Horus
Ray Ban Daddy-O
Oakley Crosslink family (any of these)
Oakley Mainlink
Nike Brazen
Nike Bandit
Smith Outlier 2
Kaenon Montecito 100%
OAKLEY Latch Alpha
OAKLEY LATCH BETA
NIKE 7878AF

Ray Ban daddy-o would be great for your RX if they fit ok. Crosslink fit will give you a little wrap for your RX, especially if you do transitions lenses

Trans 8 are regular transitions lenses, just the newest generation. Transitions II was out when I started in 2000.

Good luck on the hunt. I used to sell Duravision silver AR, and it was nice! Duravision Platinum should be even better. If you find anyone who does that promo cool. I don't do it in my store because it's too confusing for customers and staff.

Good luck, you are on your way. Try Independents instead of chains! My advice anyway.

I called a ton of local places listed on the Essilor page got all kinds of crazy pricing some over $1100 most around $600 -$700 range got this one local guy Essilor listed who's practice is structures around having the best pricing they knew about the 2 for 1 lens deal and gave me a killer quote 1 pair of the Varilux X Series 1.67 lens with Crizal Sapphire 360 for $500 including Trans 8 second pair free on that 2 for 1 deal :)

Still struggling to find some frames that i really like I went around today to LensCrafters and a few other places looking and the only frame that i really struck me was maybe not the best for my script Ray Ban RB3445.

Ray-ban makes 2 different models of the frame one script ready and ones not they will make the glasses for you allowing up to Sphere: 6.00 to -6.00 and Cylinder: 4.00 to -4.00 I'm just a tad over at -6.25.

I don't know what kind of index thickness or lens Ray-ban uses but if they can make them I don't see why I couldn't get them done in the Varilux X Series 1.67 index or if i have to 1.74. am i wrong ?
What do you think ?
Do you know what Ray-ban uses ?

I called a ton of local places listed on the Essilor page got all kinds of crazy pricing some over $1100 most around $600 -$700 range got this one local guy Essilor listed who's practice is structures around having the best pricing they knew about the 2 for 1 lens deal and gave me a killer quote 1 pair of the Varilux X Series 1.67 lens with Crizal Sapphire 360 for $500 including Trans 8 second pair free on that 2 for 1 deal :)

Still struggling to find some frames that i really like I went around today to LensCrafters and a few other places looking and the only frame that i really struck me was maybe not the best for my script Ray Ban RB3445.

Ray-ban makes 2 different models of the frame one script ready and ones not they will make the glasses for you allowing up to Sphere: 6.00 to -6.00 and Cylinder: 4.00 to -4.00 I'm just a tad over at -6.25.

I don't know what kind of index thickness or lens Ray-ban uses but if they can make them I don't see why I couldn't get them done in the Varilux X Series 1.67 index or if i have to 1.74. am i wrong ?
What do you think ?
Do you know what Ray-ban uses ?
Great pricing. 2 quick things. That frame rb3445 certainly won't work in that Rx.. It's way too curved. You really need to get a RB2132 or RB Daddy-O (2015-2016?).

X series lenses don't let you select base curve, so they need to go in a flat frame .... Ray Ban Rx sunglasses only come in polycarbonate as far as I know and aren't part of the promo. So you'll need to get "non Ray Ban lens".

You are on your way. Go get frames from that shop that was so helpful!

Back