• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Product Origins

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
This has been an issue that has been addressed a lot lately so I figured I would make a thread for some clarification.

Last year Oakley started labeling their wire frames as "Made in China." According to an employee I spoke to, the frames were being made there for awhile but it was labeled as being "Made in USA" because the frames were sent to California then assembled with lenses at HQ. Now what is happening is that the lenses are being sent overseas to be assembled where the frames are made, China.

There has also been a change in O-Matter frames as well. Lifestyle frames no longer state "Made in USA" but rather have "Assembled in USA" written on the packaging. So what is happening here is what was going on with wire frames, they are being made overseas then assembled at HQ. Changes have also been made with accessories like the earsocks. The rubber kits used to have one earsock that stated "Made in USA" but now are blank (with the exception of the name style on one end) and a "CE" (conformity marking for products sold in Europe) badge on the other. Another employee I talked to stated that the new Cavendish Radarlock had "Assembled in USA" on the packaging.

Where does this leave the consumers and collectors? Considering that acetate, womens and RX frames have been made overseas (China, Italy, Japan) for quite some time I personally don't see where the difference is. From what I can tell, most importantly, is that the lenses are still (for now) being made in the USA at HQ. Before jumping down my throat and saying that Luxottica is at fault, how do we know that? How many other companies have relocated to overseas production? Most people wouldn't be able to spot the difference between an American made product and an identical one made overseas. Personally I think frames were being made overseas for a long time prior but with production changes are now being labeled as such. The truth is that we will never truly know (unless you know an engineer or developer at HQ) and honestly I don't think there is any physical difference. The origins of a product do not necessarily dictate quality. Please note that I do not in anyway support Luxottica with their price hikes and overseas production, if anything prices should be cheaper.

My main conclusion here is to let everyone know and to keep this discussion in one area, as it seems to be all over the forum now. I personally don't care where they are made as long as quality isn't affected. From what I can tell there hasn't been a drastic (or even marginal) decline in quality. For those that are concerned, remember that all Apple products also state "Designed in California, made in China," just like Oakley is doing now. As far as I can tell Apple is still doing very well and nobody complains that their iPhones are made in China.

Discuss. Flame suit ready.

Great way to look at it. And fact of the matter is, the technology that got us into oakley in the first place is being used. They are cutting corners on certain products and they are Inflating prices at a staggering rate. That is what upsets me the most. But like you said, apple whores (like me...) are willing to shell out a grand for a laptop, or 200+ for an iphone.

Some very interesting & good points. I have to agree with it in the fact that as long as the quality control doesn't deterorate at all then there should not be a problem. We all know that labour is far cheeper in the far east & so the production price of the goods will come down & be able to be passed onto the customers (us). Well that's how it should work but infact it will just increase the profit of Lux. & lets be honest if it were our multi-million dollar buisness we would all be looking to maximise profit too. The only thing we should really be dissapointed with is the design aspect of some of the frames which is still lacking.

Everything I own and use is imported. Even my girlfriend says "Assembled in USA" but "Made in Poland"
Car: Made in Japan
Nike sneakers: Made in China
List goes on and on. It's sad but I wish more quality products were made and assembled in USA. We pay more to buy organic foods and I would think we could pay more to keep more businesses in USA.

The main issue with that argument is that consumers want the cheapest prices possibly. It's a double sided sword.

Either you pay the price and get quality goods or save $$$ for overseas produced items.

The main issue with that argument is that consumers want the cheapest prices possibly. It's a double sided sword.

Either you pay the price and get quality goods or save $$$ for overseas produced items.

You want a cheeper price you tend to get a cheeper product as they would want to keep their profit magins up & if you reduce your RRP, your production costs are as cheep as they can be, then there is only one way to keep your margins high. Cut down on the quality.

Thanks for setting the record straight Bats. IMO this sucks more than Vanilla Ice at a male strip club...but what can you do? Blame Oakley minus JJ, or Lux. Whoever made these decisions is a horrible human being. lol

If its not made in USA like it used to be then the price should go down, if they making the parts in other countries its cause its cheaper .

So Batwolf hit the head pretty much on the nail. It is important to note that Oakley did not move SOME frame production to China on a whim. A lot of research was done. It is also not like they sent Oakley production to some small Third Party Factory in China.

The factory at FHR runs 3 shifts 24/7, 365 days a year and could not keep up with production. Luxottica on the other hand had some room in one of their factories, that had extra space. So with a heavy heart, and to answer the calls of some of the sales reps, who had HUGE BACKORDER problems. They reluctantly moved some production to Lux factories overseas.

Like Batwolf said Oakley was following Apple's lead and not allowing quality to be affected. Again it was not a decision taken lightly, but supply was far below demand, action had to be taken.

So does this mean that certain models have been shipped out of country for production....or is it just a portion of the frames are being manufactured overseas? To clarify what I'm asking, for example, will all the Holbrooks be made in China, or will a portion of them be made in China, with the rest made in USA?

Also, where are the backorder issues coming from? At least in the USA, it seems like there is an abundance of product at retail. We've got more Big Tacos than you can shake a stick at :p

Back