• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Product Origins

Ok, I'm not sure I care too much about the whole "Made in USA/China" issue. As long as the quality doesn't drop, I'll probably still buy Oakley sunglasses. Yes, I'll certainly miss the Made in USA printed proudly on the frame but, I have to tell you I've had good and bad from the USA stamped frames. I have two sets of custom Big Tacos and they had issues from the factory with the bands on the ear stems. They are both marked Made in USA and were both sent back to Oakley and were returned in the same condition saying they were fixed and within spec.

However, I ordered the Shaun White Offshoots from the website and they are not marked. These have no issues with them at all. The bands are perfect and I've not had any issues with them. Again, these are not stamped USA on them. So, it seems that the quality is better after being sent overseas. I don't know if the Big Taco models I ordered were put together in a hurry due to the backorder problems they've experienced or what.

Probably due to the lack of space on the stem due to the signature pad print. But they are definitely made in the USA.

Well the signature print is on the opposite stem from where the USA should be. I'll take your word for it but, I'm still skeptical.

I don't believe the "not enough space on the stem" argument. They managed to fit it on the Jupiter Squared where the area to print is small.

At least before anyway. My newer Woodgrain Jupiter Squared does not have the marking but my original did. So I know it was printed at some point. The new pair also has "assembled in USA" on the box rather than "Made in USA" on the original.

This article doesn't have anything directly to do with Oakley but the article reminded me of the whole conversation thread (talks about what products are still made in the USA and a short blurb about why people still buy made in USA). I actually think the most interesting part of the article is the comments section because it kind of reminds me of the same conversations that are happening here regarding Made in USA stuff, quality, cost, benefits, negatives, etc.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/13/living/made-in-america/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

One of the things that I like about oakley is that it's made in the USA. Compleatly. You guys may be fine with it but I say it's ****. And if anyone thinks price will go down because lux is saving money then give your head a shake. It was founded and brought up to be the best because there was no compromise. Now another company sunk its teeth into it and its all about the dollar, that's it, nothing else matters. The quality will be there but something is missing. Oakley HQ will no longer be the destination where "it all happens" but just a figurehead. What if Harley Davidson sent all production to China? I'm pissed off about this and I'm from Canada. You Americans should really be pissed.

I'm going to ask what I asked in another thread. What makes the Made in USA product better?

If I gave you a double blind test with two Gascans, one from the USA and the other from China I guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I recommend you at least go LOOK at the product and feel it in your hands before making a judgement call like that. I bet if you didn't know about the production change and bought a new pair fresh from the store you would be estatic and wouldn't complain. But for some reason you hear the word "China" and you revert back to anger.

I do guarantee this though, Oakley will have HUGE PR issues once this gets out in the open and starts to become common knowledge. And the longer it takes them to make an official statement, the more it will come back to bite them in the ass.

Back