• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley pulling plug on SQUARE O? What do you think?

What do you think of Oakley pulling the plug on Square O products/designs?

• Good Idea - I'm pleased about this

• Bad Idea - I'm angry/disappointed about this

• Don't Care - I'm not bothered either way

Results are only viewable after voting.

Herbsley

Steadily Retiring
Durham, UK
There seems to be thoughts on this topic scattered around on different threads, so I thought it might be interesting to pull it all together in one, and get a good idea of the community's thoughts on this topic.

There has been word around the campfire on this for some time, and it now seems that Oakley are making moves to pull the plug on the whole Square O concept, and are going to be sticking with the Elliptical O icon.
For example, we have seen evidence of this in the change in the Turbine from Square to Elliptical partway thru its run.

A marketing move to help firm up a single brand identity?
Or a cost-cutting exercise to only manufacture a certain type of icon for all products?
There have been comments on both sides - and more besides from other, different, angles.

So what do you all think?
Good idea?
Bad idea?
Or, frankly, you don't care?

(The poll is anonymous).

Just to kick things off, I am gutted by this.
Looking at my collection, such a vast majority of it is Square O. Hijinx, Dispatch, Eyepatch, etc.
They are discontinued frames, I grant you. But what about the current stuff . . . .

The Turbine looks way worse without the Square O.
And what about stuff that's still on the website like Holbrook, Gascan and Fuel Cell? They're still selling - so are we going to see them change too?

I like the Square O. It's different. It looks cool.
The petition for Save Square O starts here!

It doesn't bother me so much....but why change something that was working fine? Is it going to work better? I doubt any normal consumer is going to notice that the icon is changed. Only we would care. US....yeah US!!! WE CARE!!! RAISE YOUR HANDS IF YOU CARE!!!!! FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!

Sent from my hidden bunker while waiting for the apocalypse of square O lovers to revolt

This change does not affect me. But I can understand those who it does. The frames have different styles to them and the different styles of "O" match them differently. Yes I like the square "O" but I don't have any frames with it. If they say they are changing the design to one single style to be more recognizable then I can kind of understand that. But being elliptical and square are minute differences. It is still an "O" and recognizable.

I'm all for consistency and such, but I prefer the square O. The elliptical O works best on sports frames and some small frames, though.

I just hate the elliptical O on some of the lifestyle frames because it cheapens the look of them.

My opinion in photo form:

81f573cf1ca950123c5a81accc00ace8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm a bit conflicted. Coming from the car business I've seen some changes to brand image and identity over the past 29 years that have both worked and not. Mazda, for example. Changed entire logo and branding image twice. Most of you would have to dig deep into google (there you go @OakleyFrankFMJ) to even find their first change now. Likewise with Acura...now just a short footnote.
Oakley, however, different. They are using multiple logos at the current time and are doing quite well with all of them. I understand economy of scale and identity recognition but they actually have that now..with the multiples. I know I'm not a corporate bighead but I would weigh in if asked for a continuation of the current iconS. Like the old saying, If it ain't broke...

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back