• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Radar Soft Vault Strange Smell?

steveadorjan

Oakley Beginner
I just bought a pair of Oakley Radar Locks a few days ago and noticed that the Soft Vault case the Radars came is has a weird chemical smell right out of the box. It's most likely the foam padding inside the upper part of the case. These are the regular M Frame/Radar cases (with one slot for the glasses and extra slot for a second lens) and my old ones never had this smell. I've been trying to air them for 2 days but the smell doesn't go away. What could it be?
Would it be worth trying to exchange them for another case at my local O Store? I bought them online from an authorized Oakley retailer four days ago, and I don't feel like shipping the case back for a replacement (and it's not the seller's fault for sure).

The glasses don't smell, but the case does. It's pretty strong, as soon as you open it. And as I said, out of two identical cases, only one has that smell (I also have 5 regular, i.e. non-Mframe, cases, and none of them smells either, though they don't have the foam padding, of course). I've tried putting in the freezer, leaving it by the window to air, the smell is still there. Case Made in China... I only wish I knew what chemicals they used in the process

I just went and huffed my 2 new Radar cases. They smell like a new set of tires almost, but not very strongly and I had to really get in there to detect a smell. I have a headache.

Rustpot said:
I just went and huffed my 2 new Radar cases. They smell like a new set of tires almost, but not very strongly and I had to really get in there to detect a smell. I have a headache.

I laughed hard at this one.
I don't have soft vaults, but my carbon case had a, I suppose, similar smell when I first got it. Haven't used it since. :O

Like new cars these days, it's probably the off-gassing of VOCs. It'll go away eventually, but I certainly wouldn't recommend that Rustpot or anyone else go huffing the new cases, lol!

Latest Posts

Back