• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Rimless Eyeglasses - Keel, Gauge etc

Bonham

Oakley Beginner
So I've a question...

I have yet another pair of busted Oakley eyeglasses - a set of Gauge 3.1
The very thin curly bit of metal on the right hand side arm (as you wear them).

Oakley can't sort me out with a spare part to repair them, so I either buy a new full frame - or source a spare part elsewhere.
But it got me thinking...

I could buy another pair of Gauge 3.1 (and resultingly would have an almost complete set of spares from may damaged set) - or maybe could get a different frame, and fit my existing lenses to the new frame.
The caveat however, is that any new frame - eg Wingfold EVS - has the same hole positions to attach the temple hinges as Gauge 3.1

Does anyone on here know if the temple hinge pin positions are exactly the same?

Are they the same for Keel too?

Any advice would be great.

So I've a question...

I have yet another pair of busted Oakley eyeglasses - a set of Gauge 3.1
The very thin curly bit of metal on the right hand side arm (as you wear them).

Oakley can't sort me out with a spare part to repair them, so I either buy a new full frame - or source a spare part elsewhere.
But it got me thinking...

I could buy another pair of Gauge 3.1 (and resultingly would have an almost complete set of spares from may damaged set) - or maybe could get a different frame, and fit my existing lenses to the new frame.
The caveat however, is that any new frame - eg Wingfold EVS - has the same hole positions to attach the temple hinges as Gauge 3.1

Does anyone on here know if the temple hinge pin positions are exactly the same?

Are they the same for Keel too?

Any advice would be great.

If both pairs are Gauge 3.1's you should be fine, would try to find a pair that's a similar model. Keel is a tougher one to say.

I would expect another set of Gauge 3.1 to be exactly the same as what I have - the legs, lenses and bridge are joined together by compression fitting plugs - and these plugs come in standard sizes - what I don't know, is whether they ALL use the same size of fitting.
Keel and Gauge, use the same size fittings - I just checked - but what about the Wingfolds? Or others? Do they use different size fittings?

I found it shocking by the way - these Gauge 3.1 are a current model from Oakley - and yet they couldn't supply any spares - only a brand new frame - admittedly at a reduced price.
It's ridiculous.
A current frame - who's arguably weakest component, doesn't have spare parts?
It's not as if the arms are all one piece - the metal part I need has to be attached to the arms with 2 small Philips screws. It is available at manufacture as a separate piece.
Sounds like a scam to me.

Suggests to me that, in order for this to be cost effective, the mark up on these glasses must be huge.
But not only that - it's more cost effective for Oakley to not actually do repairs on these, but rather just pack up and send out a new frame - though I guess - any labour would be just to swap out the glass in the frames.
It's a terrible waste of materials, and but for this one little components, has rendered a perfectly usable pair of spectacles as material for the landfill.

My Oakley Keel were just the same - I have broken temple hinges on these, and tried to source spares (I've an old message on here regarding this), and Oakley couldn't help me out then either.

I'm seriously questioning whether I'll stick with Oakley and have been a long time wearer if the above is the typical way they work.

No spare parts, for a currently sold line - it's crazy!

I would expect another set of Gauge 3.1 to be exactly the same as what I have - the legs, lenses and bridge are joined together by compression fitting plugs - and these plugs come in standard sizes - what I don't know, is whether they ALL use the same size of fitting.
Keel and Gauge, use the same size fittings - I just checked - but what about the Wingfolds? Or others? Do they use different size fittings?

I found it shocking by the way - these Gauge 3.1 are a current model from Oakley - and yet they couldn't supply any spares - only a brand new frame - admittedly at a reduced price.
It's ridiculous.
A current frame - who's arguably weakest component, doesn't have spare parts?
It's not as if the arms are all one piece - the metal part I need has to be attached to the arms with 2 small Philips screws. It is available at manufacture as a separate piece.
Sounds like a scam to me.

Suggests to me that, in order for this to be cost effective, the mark up on these glasses must be huge.
But not only that - it's more cost effective for Oakley to not actually do repairs on these, but rather just pack up and send out a new frame - though I guess - any labour would be just to swap out the glass in the frames.
It's a terrible waste of materials, and but for this one little components, has rendered a perfectly usable pair of spectacles as material for the landfill.

My Oakley Keel were just the same - I have broken temple hinges on these, and tried to source spares (I've an old message on here regarding this), and Oakley couldn't help me out then either.

I'm seriously questioning whether I'll stick with Oakley and have been a long time wearer if the above is the typical way they work.

No spare parts, for a currently sold line - it's crazy!
You're dead on about costs and mark-up. If you're not in the warranty/repairs game, you have no idea how expensive it is to keep a warranty centre of parts, people with expertise + knowledge, tools, and physical real estate. The parts themselves relatively cost peanuts compared to the aforementioned. That's why the new lux model rolled out to Oakley worldwide is sack all warranty, sell the real estate, and save on training staff on old models because the new policy is flog a new pair to the disgruntled customer. It all makes business sense... At the expense of customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. Welcome to the new world; take a ticket and get treated by incompetent after sales team who treat eyewear biz like a burger joint.

Latest Posts

Back