• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley RX Eyeglass Experience

s_ton

Oakley Enthusiast
Premium Member
San Francisco
TLDR: I saved $200 buying Eyewear from Oakley.com and ignoring advice from Oakley store and Lenscrafter employees.

I just had a terrible experience trying to buy Oakley RX eyewear - I figured I'd post the story since it's pretty unbelievable if it didn't happen to me. My assumption is it has to do with the Luxottica management of the stores and distribution - and their training is severely lacking.

1.) Went to an Oakley store to purchase some Eyewear with a prescription (Hex Jector, $164). They had the frames on-site but referred me to Lenscrafters since they do not have someone to fit/order the glasses for me. Going to Lenscrafters would be an all-in-one solution, so I went there.
2.) Lenscrafters said there was a 50% promotion on lenses and built up the eyewear with lenses for me, which totaled $560! That included the 50% lens discount. This was with their default lens.
3.) I checked Oakley's website and built a pair with the Plutonium RX lens, which came to only $364 with all the additions (True Digital, Stealth Pro, etc.) When I asked them to build it with Oakley lenses, they were hesitant because it has the "O" on the lens. It came to $500 with the discount.
4.) The salesperson did not know why there was such a significant pricing disparity and showed me his POS system; it looked like he chose the same options.
5.) Needless to say, I just ordered directly from Oakley.com.

The only question I have is how Oakley.com will take my pupillary distance. In the US, this is typically not on the prescription, and stores usually measure this on-site.

Last edited:
I sure hope this pans out for you.
Oakley will assume a standard PD of 62 o. 64mm if I remember it correctly.
I only paid €500 for my Half Jacket 2.0 24k progressive lenses measured and fitted by a Master Optician.

I only paid €500 for my Half Jacket 2.0 24k progressive lenses measured and fitted by a Master Optician.
Thanks! 500 Euros also seems like a lot, but those also sound like very special lenses! I see you're from Germany; I know it's not the same, but I've spent a lot of time in the Netherlands, and I was always impressed by how much easier it was to get prescription glasses/contacts there. I remember running out of contacts and being able to buy off-the-shelf contacts at a regular store!

I just chatted with Oakley support, they didn't know the answer but referred me to rx_service@oakley.com. I emailed them my order # and PD and hopefully, they'll sort it out. What's ironic is that my prescription glasses from JINS (a Japanese company) took all my measurements and made my glasses within 30 minutes for $80. I hope my $350 Oakleys don't use random PD measurements.

Thanks! 500 Euros also seems like a lot, but those also sound like very special lenses! I see you're from Germany; I know it's not the same, but I've spent a lot of time in the Netherlands, and I was always impressed by how much easier it was to get prescription glasses/contacts there. I remember running out of contacts and being able to buy off-the-shelf contacts at a regular store!

I just chatted with Oakley support, they didn't know the answer but referred me to rx_service@oakley.com. I emailed them my order # and PD and hopefully, they'll sort it out. What's ironic is that my prescription glasses from JINS (a Japanese company) took all my measurements and made my glasses within 30 minutes for $80. I hope my $350 Oakleys don't use random PD measurements.
Do you know your PD? If so email it to Oakley RX Service. If not go and have it measured

Do you know your PD? If so email it to Oakley RX Service. If not go and have it measured
Yeah... that's what I ended up doing. It takes 2 business days to respond, so hopefully, they'll tie it all together by the time the lenses are installed.

I bought 3 eyeglasses and 4 sunglasses from Oakley.com within the last 4 months, all prescription. I had a great experience with all orders. I just edited the prescription image that I uploaded to include my PD. I agree just email it to them and it'll be fine. And yeah for some reason Lens Crafters is way more expensive than just ordering direct online.

Just wait 'till you take a look through your new Jectors, the Oakley TD lenses are so damn clear it's awesome.

Good to know. I wish I knew this before running around store to store. Ordering online is 100% the best way to order Oakley RX eyeglasses. It's hard to believe that Oakley Stores and Lens Crafters (same company) either; 1. Don't help you order the RX or 2. Charge you way more than buying direct.

Can't wait to get the Jectors with the TD lenses. I also have a pair of Pitchmen R Carbons and brought it to Costco to have lenses installed to see if there are noticeable differences. Costco only charges $65 + $25 (to bring your frames).

Lens Crafter lens = $700 (50% promotion, so $350)
Oakley.com lens = $400 (50% promotion, so $200)
Costco - $90

Ughh, here's my latest update on the whole Oakley RX saga.

Received the Hex Jectors with Oakley Authentic lenses from Oakley.com. Unfortunately, there is now a defect due to poor workmanship by the technician who installed the lenses. During the lens installation, the rubber nose pad was pinched between the lens and the frame... kind of bummed for $365 eyeglasses.

Man... from the Oakley store passing me off the LensCrafters, who then tried to overcharge me $200 compared to the Oakley.com price. I was gladly going to pay more (instead of going to Costco), but I think after this experience, I will take prescription eyewear somewhere else.

IMG_6679.jpeg

That is cheap compared to your northern neighbors - my optometrist wanted 1000€ for a pair with polarized RX lenses. But I just ordered a pair from Oakley in the US for 273 $ which is about the same in € with the current exchange rate. But on the order confirmation it seems they managed to **** it up - I refer to my elaborate thread posted a few minutes ago. So thanks to #s_ton for the link to Oakley RX service - maybe they can sort out this clusterf…

Back