• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley RX vs optometrist

bcrawfo2

Oakley Beginner
Hello all.
I'm looking at either Half Jackets or Flaks to use while cycling. Looking at prescription photochromic lenses. I see I can order Oakley prescription lenses online (from a place like SportRX). Unfortunately my optometrist doesn't carry Oakley, but is happy to have lenses cut if I bring him a frame.
I'm not in love with my optometrist, but do try to support local businesses.

Thoughts on one vs the other? I'm also going to call around to other local optometrists to see if they can order the Oakley lenses.

I'd personally get official Oakley lenses. If you can find another optometrist that can work directly with Oakley, I'd say go there.
You'll get official Oakley lenses (an "O" watermark that's etched into the left lens) if you do.

My optometrist doesn't carry Oakley frames either. So I took my prescription to another retailer that does. I went through LensCrafters. After selecting a frame and lense options (ALL OF THEM!), they put in the order with Oakley. So brand new frame and lenses came straight from Oakley, not the store demo frame with lenses cut by the retailer. LensCrafters were really just the middle man handling the order with my insurance.

My optometrist doesn't carry Oakley frames either. So I took my prescription to another retailer that does. I went through LensCrafters. After selecting a frame and lense options (ALL OF THEM!), they put in the order with Oakley. So brand new frame and lenses came straight from Oakley, not the store demo frame with lenses cut by the retailer. LensCrafters were really just the middle man handling the order with my insurance.
Thanks. I went to a local place and they can do it either way...so I'll talk with the optician on benefits either way. Thought of Lenscrafters too, but trying to help the local guys if possible.

When I wore prescription glasses, I would buy oakley frames and take it to a local to cut lenses, not Oakley, and I was just fine with it.

Back