• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Find the Right Oakley Safety Glasses For You
Whether you’re working on a dirty job site or in the field, having the right safety glasses are crucial to protecting your eyes. And Oakley safety glasses deliver with protection, comfort, and style!
Now let’s walk through the most popular Oakley safety glasses and how you know if they meet ANSI and OSHA standards.

Table of Contents
ToggleWhat are ANSI Z87.1 Standards? Are All Oakleys ANSI Z87.1 Certified? What is ANSI Z80.3?What are Oakley PPE Glasses...

[url="https://www.oakleyforum.com/guides/oakley-safety-glasses-ansi-z87/"]Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
What does Oakley offer as safety glasses. I know most if not all lenses now are Z87.1 OSHA approved but I need something more like safety glasses. I’m a construction guy so that’s why they need to be more “safety” conscious. And they must be available in a clear lense as well. Oh! I do prefer something a bit stylish, not just a typical black frame. Blah. Thanks

I wear m-frames(new) with a clear lense

I do HVAC and I use an old pair of Gascan's I put Oakley Titanium Clear lenses into. the lenses were on sale for 12 dollars a pair a few years ago on the Oakley vault website so i bought like 6 pairs.

Last edited:
Did you see my Holbrook lense vid. I'm saying there all safety glasses. But ballistic m frame comes to mind

nsw#134 ottclub #5 your mom sends her love.

M Frame 2.0 or M Frame 3.0. They have tan and grey frames. They are great safety glasses and would be perfect for construction. You can check Oakleysi.com for standard issue and see what military and police use.

Not any lense works for safety glasses. Z87.1 has to be stamped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This.

Oakley claims their entire line meets ANSI Z87 for testing (high speed impact, etc...) but unless the frame is stamped, you have to assume they don't meet Z87 as it was never certified. The proper Z87.1 certification requires the frame AND lenses to be stamped. I have some UVEX Hyper Shock safety sunglasses and ESS 5B, and their frames are molded with Z87+ and the lenses are laser etched/stamped with the Z87 coding (Manuf code, Z87+, L3, U#, etc...)

Not only that, but the MIL-PRF-32432 protection level for Class 1 spectacles tests to kinetic energy that is over 6 times greater than Z87+ high speed impact. Z87+ requires a small BB to be fired at a decent speed, while MIL-PRF-32432 requires a FSP blast fragmentation pellet to be fired at much higher speeds. This test will punch a hole through most Z87+ compliant lenses, if it doesn't shatter the lens and frame. APEL requires MIL-PRF-32432 but also adds requirements for other stuff (the array case, cleaning solution/wipes, etc...)

I noticed a long time ago that Oakley's regular line of lenses (e.g. Flak) was thinner than M Frames, and that the Iridium coated M Frame lenses were thinner than the non-Iridium M Frame 2.0/3.0 ballistic lenses. I thought it was my imagination at first. ESS's APEL line of Crossbow lenses are extremely thick (2.2mm) as are UVEX's Genesis (also on the APEL list).

Oakley's Det Cords, Shock Tube, and M Frame 2.0/3.0/Alpha appear to be ballistic rated and carry the Z87+ frame molding, but my Det Cords don't have the Z87 stamping on the lenses, therefore they can be classified as Oakley Safety Glasses. I noticed my M Frame 2.0 lenses do not have the etchings either, but the M Frame 3.0 do have Z87 laser etched on the top (covered by the frame). The Det Cord "Industrial Z87 Stamped" lenses have an ungainly Z87 marking on the bottom, and I am not sure why Oakley does this because the ESS 5B has them laser etched very inconspicuously on the sides of the lenses (totally visible to a safety supervisor but not in your way).

I’ve seen on some used pairs of the m frames, the seller stating there’s cracks. Now is this a common thing.

Latest Posts

Back