• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Square Wire VR28 Replacement

Best replacement for Square Wire VR28

• Square Wire Black Iridium Polarized

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Square Wire Gray Polarized

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeff Bartel

Oakley Beginner
Hi all,

I am headed to Hawaii for my 10th Anniversary next week (leave on the 17th!), and was looking to pick up a pair of polarized sunglasses to replace my Square Wires that have served me very well since 2009. I love the lens color (especially the improved contrast for colors), but I wasn't sure what specific color it was. After looking it up, I have the Titanium Square Wire VR28 (not polarized) version (UPC 700285378916).

Ideally, I would like a new pair of square wires, but with the polarized version of the VR28 lens. After looking around, and calling Oakley, it appears that this lens is no longer available for the square wire. Oakley did offer me 25% off a new pair since my glasses are no longer serviceable. Here are some I am considering:

Square Wire Black Iridium Polarized - I understand these are the darkest, which would be great for the sun in Hawaii (and home), but I think I would miss the contrast from VR28

Square Wire Gray Polarized - Good middle ground, but still lacking the contrast

Square Wire Prizm Daily Polarized - These are some that most interest me. They seem to have some contrast like VR28, but not sure how they compare. One downside is that they are OOS on Oakley's website until the 18th, and seem very hard to find otherwise too. Even if these turn out to be the best, I am not sure if I could get them in time for my big vacation.

Tungsten Iridium Polarized - It looks like these are still available at a couple of places as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best polarized replacement for my Square Wire VR28's? Thanks!

Last edited:
Daily prizm polarized are my favorite lenses for most normal use, tungsten iridium polarized is also very good. Both lenses are a bit lighter than black iridium polarized, but they handle bright sun well imho.

In full bright sunlight black iridium polarized is still very hard to beat though.

Back