• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Sunglasses Peeling/Bubbles

here is what i found

UV PROTECTION OF OAKLEY LENSES

You put sunscreen on your body. Why wouldn't you put sunglasses on your eyes? Just be aware that not all sunglasses are alike. Lenses that claim only to "block UV" don't offer enough protection. Oakley Plutonite lenses are different:

• Plutonite filters out 100% of all UVA, UVB and UVC.
  • Protection is built in - it's not a coating that can wear away.
  • Oakley lens contours help block UV at the top and sides.

here is what i found

UV PROTECTION OF OAKLEY LENSES

You put sunscreen on your body. Why wouldn't you put sunglasses on your eyes? Just be aware that not all sunglasses are alike. Lenses that claim only to "block UV" don't offer enough protection. Oakley Plutonite lenses are different:

• Plutonite filters out 100% of all UVA, UVB and UVC.
  • Protection is built in - it's not a coating that can wear away.
  • Oakley lens contours help block UV at the top and sides.

This is a property of the plastic they make the lens out of. They add dyes to the plastic to give it tint. The coatings that can peel are the anti reflective layers and the iridium layer.

I have been a long time oakley fan and my 1st oakley sunglasses was the Fives 2.0, which I bought over 10 years ago.

I recently lost it (I lost a part my of myself that day:(), and I just bought the Fives Standard Issue (see link below).

Oakley Fives Standard Issue in MATTE BLACK / WARM GRAY | Oakley

Anyway, my question is, will the Oakley I just bought develop bubbles or peeling? Or is that ONLY with polarized lens? When I had my Fives 2.0, I never had a problem with them, and I wore them everyday for 10 years.

thanks

I've had almost nothing but Oakleys since my first pair of eyeshades in the late 80's and have never seen "bubbling" on any lense, polarized or not. That being said, I do have a pair of lenses for my Racing Jackets which the coating on the inside of the lens is flaking off the left lens. I'm assuming this is the hydrophobic coating.

I have no clue how Oakley handled warranty issues before, but I have been having a hell of a time just getting them to respond to me. Mind you, these were bought for me as a gift, so no receipt, but still, they could at least give me a response. Not sure if that's an issue with Oakley or Luxotica, but definately an issue.

I ususally lose my Oaks pretty fast or are just as likely to get stolen

but I have a pair of fast jacket BI lenses that were used hard for work about 3m. and they are peeling at the edge

so it's not an issue of them rubbing in a frame that makes them peel

I also have a pair of Radarlocks BI and the iridium is disappearing pronto quick,
they look like scratches, but there are no scratches on the lens, maybe I cleaned them to much when new

I no no

Now, I'm NOT a chemist, though I do play one on the intardnets...
I find it strange that the bubbling seems to start on the edge of the lens (metallic iridium coated), and follows the arc of the orbital (Metal alloy), similar in manner to an oxidation reaction between any two dissimilar metals.
:blush:

That's a good point indeed. I have 2 old wire frames that both have peeling and or bubbling but my much older plastic Straight frame has nothing of the kind on it's Fire Iridium lenses. I used to think it's because my skin and sweat tend to touch the lenses much easier on the wire frames but maybe you are right that metal oxidation has something to do with it as well.

Are Oakley actually doing anything to replace these lenses that are clearly a problem? I have really enjoyed my Oakleys (obviously until this bubbling has stuffed up the lenses) but I'm going to struggle to buy a new pair of this is going to be a recurring issue... problem is that all the competitors make such ugly stuff

Are Oakley actually doing anything to replace these lenses that are clearly a problem? I have really enjoyed my Oakleys (obviously until this bubbling has stuffed up the lenses) but I'm going to struggle to buy a new pair of this is going to be a recurring issue... problem is that all the competitors make such ugly stuff
Common knowledge states that YOU need to take care of your lenses by cleaning them and storing them properly to avoid lense delamination...

Common knowledge states that YOU need to take care of your lenses by cleaning them and storing them properly to avoid lense delamination...
Ya I hear you, they are my first pair and I assure you when I wasn't wearing them they were always in their case (hardshell supplied with the glasses) and they were cleaned after every use. Also it seems like this is a recurring problem with the newer glasses and it's not like people are just throwing them around, they are expensive items that we generally look after really well.

Back