• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Sunglasses Peeling/Bubbles

Ya I hear you, they are my first pair and I assure you when I wasn't wearing them they were always in their case (hardshell supplied with the glasses) and they were cleaned after every use. Also it seems like this is a recurring problem with the newer glasses and it's not like people are just throwing them around, they are expensive items that we generally look after really well.
This isn’t a ‘new’ phenomenon by any means... I’ve had it on several pre-Lux pairs as well with post-Lux pairs...

I just discovered some peeling on my custom cut Positive Red lens......This pair is hardly worn and never subjected to anything that could affect the lens.....now they're on their way to Xmetalmaniac's place for new cuts.....

9c536ab8d6eb47d668c23d4801ebc974.jpg

This isn’t a ‘new’ phenomenon by any means... I’ve had it on several pre-Lux pairs as well with post-Lux pairs...

So in your view it isn't a manufacturing fault it's just our fault? I'm sorry but I seriously disagree. I know how I've treated them and this should never be happening to what is most likely the best brand of sporting glasses on the market.

So in your view it isn't a manufacturing fault it's just our fault? I'm sorry but I seriously disagree. I know how I've treated them and this should never be happening to what is most likely the best brand of sporting glasses on the market.

I agree with lex, one way or another there is going to be deterioration to the lenses. Yes there is a limited warrant that covers defects but after that your on your own. Similar to the paint on your car, you can baby it all you want but your going to get a chip, scratch, or dent eventually.

With Oakley your paying for clairity and performance, not longevity... if you have some that lasts a while then your one of the lucky ones but I wouldn’t expect them to always stay mint.

Hmmm if that's what Oakley believe is ok then I'd like to see something from them saying this because if that's their stance then I'm out, building a product like that and charging what they do just for the product to last 18 months is unacceptable to me.

Delamination occurs when you get moisture trapped between the lens and the frame or if you subject your glasses to extreme heat and/or cold, like leaving them in the car.

I went swimming with my Fives 3.0 and they fell in the chlorinated water. I rinsed them, but didn't remove the lenses. Just simply wiped and let air dry. A week later, delamination started at the edge of the lenses.

My optometrist also told me not to leave my regular glasses in the bathroom while i shower. He said the moisture will eventually deteriorate the coatings on the lenses and will delaminate.

Hmmm if that's what Oakley believe is ok then I'd like to see something from them saying this because if that's their stance then I'm out, building a product like that and charging what they do just for the product to last 18 months is unacceptable to me.

Sorry bud I know it’s not what you want to hear but that’s how things are.

If your getting rid of your old Oakley’s I’ll take them off your hands... hell I’ll even pay for shipping.

Sorry bud I know it’s not what you want to hear but that’s how things are.

If your getting rid of your old Oakley’s I’ll take them off your hands... hell I’ll even pay for shipping.
I'm waiting to hear from Oakley and haven't made a decision as to what I'm going to do but will let you know if I'm going to get rid of them and I'll send them to you if that's what I decide

I have been a long time oakley fan and my 1st oakley sunglasses was the Fives 2.0, which I bought over 10 years ago.

I recently lost it (I lost a part my of myself that day:(), and I just bought the Fives Standard Issue (see link below).

Oakley Fives Standard Issue in MATTE BLACK / WARM GRAY | Oakley

Anyway, my question is, will the Oakley I just bought develop bubbles or peeling? Or is that ONLY with polarized lens? When I had my Fives 2.0, I never had a problem with them, and I wore them everyday for 10 years.

thanks

I have been a long time oakley fan and my 1st oakley sunglasses was the Fives 2.0, which I bought over 10 years ago.

I recently lost it (I lost a part my of myself that day:(), and I just bought the Fives Standard Issue (see link below).

Oakley Fives Standard Issue in MATTE BLACK / WARM GRAY | Oakley

Anyway, my question is, will the Oakley I just bought develop bubbles or peeling? Or is that ONLY with polarized lens? When I had my Fives 2.0, I never had a problem with them, and I wore them everyday for 10 years.

thanks
I had several oakly products and I do care for those really well even trying my best to clean them carefully after exposure to the elements of the outdoors, but yes, I experienced peeling to all my Oakley glasses. Not only that, I own a Rayban Glasses and experienced the same. This is due to the fact that Oakley and Rayban is made by only one company: Luxottica. The way they make lenses for all their glasses are the same process and they all peel after two years average in my experience. I replaced my lenses with good third party vendors and it has been years not experiencing such problems. I also do not experience the same peeling issue with my Serengeti sunglasses and they are now considered vintage. Serengeti is not under Luxottica. I do hope Luxottica makes better lenses because their glasses and brands are all very expensive.

Back