• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley & Surefire- Cut From The Same Cloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@BLEZ what flashlight would you recommend I look at for a 10" SBR AR-15. Must accept a remote switch, must take cr123, must be compatible with common weaponlight mounts. Bonus points for disabling brightness, single level output and wide angle beam. Beam throw max 100 yards.

Not limited to any brand. Sub $500. Very curious to see where you take this...!
Must... restrain... scathing... reply...

Their lasers are awesome ! As far as I can tell their lasers are excellent especially the artic line. Most people are saying that they have trouble having their item shipped. They are kinda amtaeurish about customer support. And they have really big demands and average stock.

So : buy three of em Frank !

Edit : also these things BURN. I burned easily a tire sidewall with my krypton
You actually have one of them? Is it really necessary to wear the eye protection? Just curious. :)

So wait.....would you be able to burn through the tire sidewall with one?

The thread starts out with "Oakley akin to Surefire" and when you ask him for an application that directly falls into Surefire's wheelhouse he recommends some scratched together one off.

"Hey yeah, go right ahead and buy some pieced together stuff. This guy very good numbah one."

I suppose there's no concern from these guys about all of these brands blatantly ripping off Surefire designs.

I'm just at a loss for words.

Whoa whoa, I'm a die-hard surefire collector (see pics). If your buying "off the shelf" look at oveready/surefire P60 host/drop-in or E-series or HDS, or Malkoff. I wanted to show him something from CPF, if you want something custom.
upy4esum.jpg
yvugevet.jpg
py5yte8e.jpg

@BLEZ I'm open to customs but also off the shelf. I'm basically a flashlight luddite - shocked, though, that seller isn't sure if there's a rail clearance issue with his "rifle mount" light! So he hasn't mounted it on a rifle then...? o_O

The thread starts out with "Oakley akin to Surefire" and when you ask him for an application that directly falls into Surefire's wheelhouse he recommends some scratched together one off.

"Hey yeah, go right ahead and buy some pieced together stuff. This guy very good numbah one."

I suppose there's no concern from these guys about all of these brands blatantly ripping off Surefire designs.

I'm just at a loss for words.

Rustpot - I'm not here to try to "sell' anything. Surefire makes the best mass produced flashlights (rile-mount/tactical) available. They are the best in the business. However, if you know anything about modern flashlight technology (which you obviously don't) then you would know that Surefire will not tell you exactly what Led is in the light you buy (who manufactures it (i.e - Cree, Nichia, SSC, Luxeon) and bin/tint ratings). Surefire is often 2-3 years behind the rest of the industry when it comes to Led emitters. They do this on purpose, because they are more concerned with heat tolerances and reflector or TIR (optics) compatibility in the production process. I don't know if you are familiar with concept of CRI (color-rendering index). Light has a temperature. Lights that emit a very stark (almost hospital-like) white, theses are called "cool" lights (6500k like a XM-L2 U2) Other lights emit a light that is closer to "after-noon" sunshine, with hints of golden-yellow (3000k - like a XM-L2 S6). Different temp lights are used for different applications. If you want unbiased advice on which light to buy, please go here Recommend Me a Light For...

It must suck to know that the company you once idolized has been bought and bastardized by a faceless international corporation with no vision (no pun intended) who cares more about cost-control over quality. I came here because I lost my carbon X-Squares last weekend and heard this was a good place to go, was I wrong?

Dan

Last edited:
It must suck to know that the company you once idolized has been bought and bastardized by a faceless international corporation with no vision (no pun intended) who cares more about cost-control over quality. I came here because I lost my carbon X-Squares last weekend and heard this was a good place to go, was I wrong?

Right place dude. We're just not all as into flashlights as the cpf regulars. We are pretty god damned knowledgeable about Oakleys though.

Let me narrow my question again to you: what surefire weaponlight should I get with the idea that I upgrade the led right away? And what led (or package of things) should I upgrade it with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back