• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley to stop making watches by years end....

Any watch repair shop with a decent amount of experience with servicing mechanical watches will be able to take care of you. The ETA 2824-2 is a very generic and simple movement.

The Killswitch was the etiology of my Oakley watch obsession! I love it with a white face and bold black letters. At first the interchangeable bezel was a joke, but now I look forward to accessorizing it around my mood or outfit. I have the Carbon Fiber Titanium version to match my Gearbox (my 1st actual purchase). For half-off I couldn't resist a red-faced Bottlecap as a 'beater' watch with Sapphire crystal.

I'm sad to see the watches go, but wasn't sad about the 40-50% off that's for sure.

I'm glad to say I was able to find an automatic Gearbox, and it will be the crown jewel of my Oakley collection. I don't plan on pursuing the MM anymore as I've just grown away from it. All that said, I am concerned about the automatic needing service as most manual watches do--- maybe the 2824-2 movement can simply be worked on by most watch places---who knows.

Yeah the 2824-2 is a great movement, well built and parts are readily available. Any Watchmaker should be able to service one.

The case parts are a different story, when it's time for the movement to be serviced all the gaskets and or seals in the case "should" be replaced.
The case back gasket is the easiest to find.
The crystal gasket is usually harder to find a generic replacement. And usually requires a crystal press to remove and install.
The gasket in the winding crown usually requires the crown to be replaced.
The case tube should also be replaced especially if the crown is the screw down type.

Of course you can get by without changing the gaskets.

Yeah the 2824-2 is a great movement, well built and parts are readily available. Any Watchmaker should be able to service one.

The case parts are a different story, when it's time for the movement to be serviced all the gaskets and or seals in the case "should" be replaced.
The case back gasket is the easiest to find.
The crystal gasket is usually harder to find a generic replacement. And usually requires a crystal press to remove and install.
The gasket in the winding crown usually requires the crown to be replaced.
The case tube should also be replaced especially if the crown is the screw down type.

Of course you can get by without changing the gaskets.

Wow--so all that said would it be better to buy something else instead of a Gearbox Automatic? Given the two watches, gearbox Auto vs it's quartz sister (titanium CF) would you say the quartz will possibly outlast it say given a 20-year timeline?

Thanks for your insight!!

Wow--so all that said would it be better to buy something else instead of a Gearbox Automatic? Given the two watches, gearbox Auto vs it's quartz sister (titanium CF) would you say the quartz will possibly outlast it say given a 20-year timeline?

Thanks for your insight!!

The Quartz would definitely be less maintenance over 20 years.
The situation with the case gaskets would not change, they still degrade regardless of the movement inside.

Personally I prefer mechanical movements, yes compared to Quartz movements they are less accurate, require more maintenance.
But I like the interaction required to keep an automatic watch running, hearing the "heartbeat" each automatic/mechanical watch has a unique personality.

Quartz on the other hand just work, very accurate, other than cell replacement, virtually maintenance free.

It's just personal preference.
No right or wrong.

I'm totally with you. I have recently purchased 2 automatic watches. One being the Gearbox and the other is a LIV Genesis (kickstarter with SW200 -- very similar to the 2824). I love the fact they need to be be worn and interfaced with!! Quartz just works--which is always boring of course--but I don't mind the reliability. On the other hand--I do like the Bulova Precisionist quartz movements--I have (2) of them. The sweeping 2nd hand on a quartz watch is a very attractive combo as well :)

Latest Posts

Back