• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Tune Up - UK

I've seen a few horror stories like these for the past few months, where tune ups get stuffed up and pairs got 'lost'. It looks as if Oakley trainees are running the show around the world and the old school technicians have gone into retirement. So sorry to see you got the raw end of the deal.... i'm just thankful I do my own tune ups and don't have to trust some random tool with my treasure.

The nose bridge for the carbon looks like cosmetic damage (which sucks) but at least it's not a fracture or broken bridge. Send it to someone competent and either swap the bridge or push the pin back so as to not stick out like a sore thumb. Carbon frames don't vary in color too significantly unless JC juliets are polished carbon....
Thanks pal. I think you're definitely safer doing your own stuff if you're confident, absolutely.
I may look into the bridge replacement option if it annoys me too much. I'm hoping in the back of my mind it can be out right but I'll wait to hear if this is so. Their assessment and correction could result in a permanently damaged bridge. JC is just standard carbon yes.

Thanks pal. I think you're definitely safer doing your own stuff if you're confident, absolutely.
I may look into the bridge replacement option if it annoys me too much. I'm hoping in the back of my mind it can be out right but I'll wait to hear if this is so. Their assessment and correction could result in a permanently damaged bridge. JC is just standard carbon yes.
even better: get a generic carbon and swap the left arm + lenses. Now dump the bodged carbon and forget about the mess that just happened ;)

Lost frame?!? That's a nice way of saying somebody walked off with it... Man this is just horrible, I feel so bad for you! This is why I don't deal with Oakley anymore for maintenance. I know your options are limited a bit more in the UK and shipping to the US can be expensive. I hope they make this right. Maybe you can take the Badman and sell it. Take the cash and put it back towards replacing the lost metal?

If the parts were still readily available then fair enough, send out new replacements but this is long discontinued, highly sought after goods. You would think oakley would train staff up to the required standard before letting them loose on customers glasses. Still find it hard to understand

If the parts were still readily available then fair enough, send out new replacements but this is long discontinued, highly sought after goods. You would think oakley would train staff up to the required standard before letting them loose on customers glasses. Still find it hard to understand

i guess it's just like any End of life product, the less they remember the profit the less they remember to support the product.

now that i've seen the pics, it was pressed way too hard, i have pushed on those things but geez.

i personally have only had frames serviced by xman, and in person @ hq. and I tune my beater pairs.

Sorry for your losses mate, Oakley UK really do need to take a long hard look at themselves, I've recently contacted them myself and with the exception of one guy who I've spoken to many times they don't seem to know what the F#ck they are doing, they repeatedly blame the slow and poor service on network problems but you just know from the verbal response that they haven't got a f#cking clue what they're talking about, although I haven't had any issues as you have (which is absolutely disgraceful btw) I have found the turn around extremely slow, as an example: I sent 2 pairs to the x-man recently (1 for refinish/tune-up and the other a tune-up) and had them back faster than the last time I sent a pair to Oakley for just a tune, also the rubbers they fitted aren't of the same quality they used to be either, they really do need a hard kick up the ass!!!! I really hope your situation gets resolved quickly and you get fully compensated for your loss and damage..
All the best bud.

Sorry for your losses mate, Oakley UK really do need to take a long hard look at themselves, I've recently contacted them myself and with the exception of one guy who I've spoken to many times they don't seem to know what the F#ck they are doing, they repeatedly blame the slow and poor service on network problems but you just know from the verbal response that they haven't got a f#cking clue what they're talking about, although I haven't had any issues as you have (which is absolutely disgraceful btw) I have found the turn around extremely slow, as an example: I sent 2 pairs to the x-man recently (1 for refinish/tune-up and the other a tune-up) and had them back faster than the last time I sent a pair to Oakley for just a tune, also the rubbers they fitted aren't of the same quality they used to be either, they really do need a hard kick up the ass!!!! I really hope your situation gets resolved quickly and you get fully compensated for your loss and damage..
All the best bud.
Thank you pal. This looks like a definite downturn in quality and standards as far as I'm concerned and yes, you are absolutely right, they have no clue at all what they are talking about at all, which is very worrying. It takes them over a week to respond to an email theses days due to an apparent backlog!
I do not think I will ever trust them with a frame again, no matter what they say regarding this issue or whatever promises they make. I will be using other services in the future!
Cheers, Stuart

This is very shocking to hear. I am sorry such valuable pieces have been damaged and 'lost'. I don't understand how a company can let this happen to one of their products. The standards seem to definitely be going down.

As dragonvoi mentioned, these items have reached end of life from a business perspective. It's unfortunate as to what has happened but I think it's also fair to say Oakley has done a great job by keeping the tuning services and OEM lenses for as long as they had around the world. Most companies won't give a toss about an obsolete product - it'd go into discount bin and offer no more than 12 months replacement warranty. The tuning 'stuff up' on the carbon is regrettable but sometimes sh!t happens with these things. Push the pin the wrong way and things can slip with the tremendous force required. Even the almighty X-Man here had a mishap or 2 that some people may be aware of. It's the nature of life... everything has a risk albeit how small the probability and nothing has a guarantee. If Oakley did a crap job consistently, then our forums would be flooded with complaints!

The lost of juliet however is becoming more frequent as of late and I can only guess 2 reasons: either they messed it up real bad and are ashamed to return the damaged item; OR there's theft around the place for these 'high' value items. What may seem surprising to the general public are these items are only worth cost price to Oakley and compensation-wise they're only worth their original retail value. They cannot place a market value to these nor account for one's sentimental value - otherwise the additional costs of insurance policies and changed business workflows with safeguards would flow down to the consumer. The costs would be prohibitive to the general market for a retune and Oakley may as well forget about the headache and just discontinue the service altogether. Hell they'd even save some headcount that can be utilized for other activities as well. Just my 2 cents.

Back