• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley vs Costa Del Mar

horns10

Oakley Beginner
Now, this is obviously going to be Oakley biased, I know, but all the other threads I can find on this are on boating and fishing forums, which obviously sways the opinion toward Costa Del Mar, so this might balance out some of the information I get.

Both of these are obviously top tier sunglass brands, but I'm trying to decide which would be better all around. One thing I've read is that the 580 lense technology from Costa is superior to that of Oakley. Is this true? As far as frame and look go, Oakley wins that category every time. Have any of you had any experience with Costa? What do you guys think?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I don't know much about Costa Del Mar, but most of my friends who use them for fishing or skiing prefer their polarized lenses over Oakley's. They say their frame styling sucks but the polarized lenses work far better on water and snow that what Oakley has to offer. This was before Prizm, so not sure how they measure up now. Other than that, I don't know about their impact protection or anything else about the brand.

Compared to older Costa lenses there really in no comparison when it comes to the quality of the optics and safety. I have heard some of the other Lux brands now have optical quality equal to Oakley but I cant say first hand. In the beginning Costa may have had an advantage when it came to lens options for being able to see in the water.

Also, you mentioned 580 lenses. I see there are polycarbonate and glass versions. Perhaps the lenses are clearer because we're using the glass version? I find most glass/crystal lenses are clearer than Oakley's Plutonite/polycarbonate lenses.

If you get a glass lens the costas quality to me is better. The warranty is way better too. However I'll take my oakley frames everyday. I think plastic lens to plastic lens the oakley is more crisp(ie slightly clearer however it could be due to the fact they let more light in) however the costas are only polarized and darker.

Latest Posts

Back