• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Whisker Or Tightrope?

Kanasio

Oakley Beginner
I need you guys to help make a decision for me. I am looking for a wire frame, and I like the Whisker and the Oakley Tightrope because they fit my small noggin. The only thing that is keeping me from just buying the Whisker is that the polarized Tightrope has an ice iridium lens, and the Whiskers only come in black/black. Are there any other deciding factors that you can provide? Thanks.

*edit*
Also, how big is the Splinter frame? I guess you can't have a mirror finish if you are in uniform and this looks like the only wire frame that I'm interested in that doesn't have a stock iridium lens.

Whiskers come in different combos but Oakley may not carry them all. There are a few websites that offer different frame lens options and frame material. I have 4 pairs of titanium whiskers with different lenses and love them all. I believe the whisker will be lighter then the tightrope. Plus some of the discount sites like 6pm.com, departmentofgoods.com, and altrec.com, oakleyvault.com has whiskers as low as $55

In terms of fit: smallest- largest= Tightrope, Whisker, Splinter. The fit of the Slinter is nice due to the spring hinge. I do not have a big head and tightrope always gave me a headache and Whiskers lens was a little too small. Splinter felt the best.

See if you can find a Square Whisker as it is a good fit between Whisker and Splinter

Thanks for the replies. I am not quite active duty yet, I ship out to basic in February even though I joined in April haha. I have a contract to be a nuclear electrician, and there's a backup in the nuke schooling part, so.... I just went ahead and went to sports unlimited (I know, full price is stupid) and got the half wires instead, and they fit like a charm. The Whisker or Tightrope will have to wait for another day :) Thanks again

*edit*
Also, how big is the Splinter frame? I guess you can't have a mirror finish if you are in uniform and this looks like the only wire frame that I'm interested in that doesn't have a stock iridium lens.

You can have mirrored lenses while in garrison, but had to be matte black with grey/grey polarized lenses while on deployment. With your unit's permission of course. At least thats the way it was for me...

I had both but recently sold my tightropes...I like the Whiskers as they are lighter and look better on my small head...I only paid $49 for my whiskers and $60 something for tightropes at 6pm.com....Main reason I sold my tightropes was I had bronze pol lenses...not a huge fan of contrast lenses.

Back