• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley X-Metal Authenticity Checklist

Coth

Oakley Beginner
Sweden
I'm seeing so many X-Metal fakes on Ebay and Craigslist, but people still seem to be buying/bidding. If you don't know what to look for it's easy to get scammed. This thread is meant as a guide for people to check the authenticity of their purchases.

The O-Review X-Metal Serial List is useful as a first step to verify authenticity.

Oakley X-Metal Authenticity Checklist (Penny and others):

1. Genuine Oakley X-Metal sunglasses have orbitals with rubber gaskets.
Fake sunglasses usually have no rubber gaskets.
w1s7r8.jpg

2. Genuine Oakley X-Metal sunglasses have metal rivets on the nose bridge.
Fake sunglasses usually have regular screws.
2ho8pzl.jpg

3. Genuine Oakley X-Metal sunglasses have earstems with tips that curve with the stems naturally.
Fake sunglasses usually have tips that point outwards.
13zq1b6.jpg

Update 2013-11-05:
Additional information for Oakley X-Squared:

1. Genuine Oakley X-Squared sunglasses have hex screws on the nosebridge.
Fake sunglasses usually have regular screws.
68btcw.jpg

2. Genuine Oakley X-Squared sunglasses have torx screws for the earstems.
Fake sunglasses usually have hex screws.
291n91i.jpg

3. Genuine Oakley X-Squared sunglasses have earstems with the outermost tips bent slightly outwards.
Unfortunately fake sunglasses usually have outward bent earstems as well.
s5z09t.jpg

Update 2014-05-17:
As per request, added a link to the O-Review X-Metal Serial List.

Last edited:
This is a good idea with the pictures! Thanks this should help some of the members that are new to X Metals out!!

Only down side to a post like this is that it is showing the people who make these fakes exactly what to "fix" for there next run.

Possibly, but I think the counterfeit producers have held the actual items in hand and have certain reasoning for not creating an identical replica. Maybe if a certain amount of aspects are different there is a lesser criminal charge for producing counterfeits. Or maybe they just do not have the same production resources available to create an identical replica. I really don't think this will help them, but you never know...

I don't think they make them different on accident. It's not any harder for them to make an exact copy if they're already going that far. They do it for a reason.
To make them exact copies they'd be selling for a lot closer to the same price as the real thing.

Cheaper materials, cheaper production, cheaper assembly, cheaper packaging, cheaper all around.

To make them exact copies they'd be selling for a lot closer to the same price as the real thing.

Cheaper materials, cheaper production, cheaper assembly, cheaper packaging, cheaper all around.

That's what I'm saying. They're making them different for a reason. They could reverse engineer about anything. I don't think sunglasses pose a challenge

Back