• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley X-Metal Authenticity Checklist

I wan to contribute my observations of fake Romeo 1.0. they have become better, but is still recognizable. The devil is in the details. These are screenshots, I have taken from a portuguese Youtuber, who I think, is being duped.

IMG_20210330_161305.jpg

Here you can see, the typical pointers to a fake R1. The "O" inside is flat instead of following the form. The orbital screws holes doesn't drop down to the "X" nose bridge, it's straight, the screws are, as known, hex screws on the top. The temple shox are protruding at the hinges.

IMG_20210330_161449.jpg

The lower oribtal/"X" nosebridge has philips screws inside, instead of the locking pins. The hammerstem is thicker at the hinges and squared, instead of bevel sanded, probably due to structural reasons, since it's a simple white metal, it probably would bend. And the known nosebombs of the Juliet. Removing it, reveals that there are no hooks for the original bombs.

IMG_20210330_161701.jpg

Here, a much clearer view of the side of the "O".

IMG_20210330_161749.jpg

The end tips at the ears doc are thicker and squared, again the temple shox doesn't fit snug.

IMG_20210330_161849.jpg

The "O" has also an additional angle, which doesn't exist with the originals, which are curved throughout.

IMG_20210330_161936.jpg

There's an extra curve at the hinges, where the originals are truly sculpted as one continuous line.

IMG_20210330_162003.jpg

Weird "O" shape...

IMG_20210330_162048.jpg

The hinges aren't flushing into the hammerstems, thicc!

IMG_20210330_162152.jpg

"O" are smallish, doesn't align with the temple shox.

That's all I can find so far, compared to my R1

Nice observations! The lower orbital break is also at the wrong angle - far too vertical....

The worse is the scammers that commit straight up fraud. The pictures in the ads could be 100% Oakley glasses. Then a completely different (fake) pair shows up in the mail. Easy to get money back. Just a hassle.

The worse is the scammers that commit straight up fraud. The pictures in the ads could be 100% Oakley glasses. Then a completely different (fake) pair shows up in the mail. Easy to get money back. Just a hassle.
Haha. This exact thing happened to me way back in the early 2000s when I was looking to buy a pair of Juliets. Eventually got the real deal but the first pair I bought on eBay were fakes. And really bad fakes at that. I'm actually pretty impressed with some of the fakes I see in this thread!

I'm seeing so many X-Metal fakes on Ebay and Craigslist, but people still seem to be buying/bidding. If you don't know what to look for it's easy to get scammed. This thread is meant as a guide for people to check the authenticity of their purchases.

The O-Review X-Metal Serial List is useful as a first step to verify authenticity.

Oakley X-Metal Authenticity Checklist (Penny and others):

Genuine Oakley X-Metal sunglasses have orbitals with rubber gaskets.
Fake sunglasses usually have no rubber gaskets.
View attachment 31476

2. Genuine Oakley X-Metal sunglasses have metal rivets on the nose bridge.
Fake sunglasses usually have regular screws.
View attachment 31477

3. Genuine Oakley X-Metal sunglasses have earstems with tips that curve with the stems naturally.
Fake sunglasses usually have tips that point outwards.
View attachment 31478

Update 2013-11-05:
Additional information for Oakley X-Squared:

1. Genuine Oakley X-Squared sunglasses have hex screws on the nosebridge.
Fake sunglasses usually have regular screws.
View attachment 31479
2. Genuine Oakley X-Squared sunglasses have torx screws for the earstems.
Fake sunglasses usually have hex screws.
View attachment 31480

3. Genuine Oakley X-Squared sunglasses have earstems with the outermost tips bent slightly outwards.
Unfortunately fake sunglasses usually have outward bent earstems as well.
View attachment 31481

Update 2014-05-17:
As per request, added a link to the O-Review X-Metal Serial List.

AMAZING

Back