• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley X-Metal Half X LH hinge broken, Please Help!

This blows. I know @jdd32 has fixed these in the past and taken away the flexibility at the hinge IIRC. Perhaps he can help. I know these are a royal PITA to fix though. Man this sucks for you... If you are set on a half frame, check out the R2, it is just a better frame all the way around IMHO.

I still have a few OEM spare hinges remaining. Sorry I've been very sick the past fortnight so I've been offline the whole time
Is it even worth it to put an OEM hinge back on there? Won't this just happen again? Stupid design... this is why I never wear my Half X, only keep it around in my collection as an example for completeness sake, lol

Some people like OEM and unfortunately the only way to get spring hinges is either OEM or my custom Ti hinge remake (which I'm still having troubles sourcing all the needed bits for a viable cost). Furthermore those Ti hinges although were more durable than OEM hinges, they were prone to break by torsional forces due to physical nature of the narrow shaft design not being able to cope with the load.

I can however make Ti solid hinges and it'd be far more durable than using spring hinges but it's still at the design stage

Some people like OEM and unfortunately the only way to get spring hinges is either OEM or my custom Ti hinge remake (which I'm still having troubles sourcing all the needed bits for a viable cost). Furthermore those Ti hinges although were more durable than OEM hinges, they were prone to break by torsional forces due to physical nature of the narrow shaft design not being able to cope with the load.

I can however make Ti solid hinges and it'd be far more durable than using spring hinges but it's still at the design stage
Ya just gotta hate it when the narrow shaft can't cope with the load. :eek:

Back