• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys as safety glasses?

Sounddragon

Oakley Enthusiast
Netherlands
Seeïng the Oakley impact resistance advertisement on the site, makes me come up with a interesting question.

Could/should I wear Oakleys as a substitute for safetyglasses? Here in the EU we are bound to wearing safetyglasses with EN166 certification, but these standards seem almost comparable with the impact resistance of Oakley-lenses. I have to wear (mostly dark) safetyglasses all day every day, but they suck, I would rather wear a pair of O's, duh!
Are there industries in the US that allow Oakley's as safetygear?

My employer does not look any further than the 'EN166' logo missing on the frame and then waves me off back into the herd, insurance-issue and so on, you US guys know all about that.. The question is more like; could Oakley get these certified as safetywear? I mean; the specs and tests are there to prove it, why don't they play that field? More and more companies prescribe their staff to wear eye-safety wear, and it is a friggin' big market. I know that most safety glasses cost peanuts and that would be an issue, but I know a lot of people who would pay up to a hundred dollars for a nice pair of safetyglasses that get you through the days without a splitting headache around noon.
I tend to use Split Jackets for the occasions that it doesn't matter what exactly I wear, because they are strong and pretty light, plus I can adapt lenses in a minute if needed, such a concept with easily swappable lenses would be a great concept.

I work in construction and travel various sites and cover various materials. I wear my flak jackets to every single one of them and have never had an issue. Honestly, I feel safer with these than I do with any other safety lens I've previously worn. Just wish I had xlj lenses.

My employer does not look any further than the 'EN166' logo missing on the frame and then waves me off back into the herd, insurance-issue and so on, you US guys know all about that.. The question is more like; could Oakley get these certified as safetywear? I mean; the specs and tests are there to prove it, why don't they play that field? More and more companies prescribe their staff to wear eye-safety wear, and it is a friggin' big market. I know that most safety glasses cost peanuts and that would be an issue, but I know a lot of people who would pay up to a hundred dollars for a nice pair of safetyglasses that get you through the days without a splitting headache around noon.
I tend to use Split Jackets for the occasions that it doesn't matter what exactly I wear, because they are strong and pretty light, plus I can adapt lenses in a minute if needed, such a concept with easily swappable lenses would be a great concept.
If your employer and insurance says you have to wear a certain kind then I guess that's it. Yes, they could get them certified for that but its a lot more expensive than you think. In the current times of Lux (cut costs no matter what) it aint gonna happen.

Seeïng the Oakley impact resistance advertisement on the site, makes me come up with a interesting question.

Could/should I wear Oakleys as a substitute for safetyglasses? Here in the EU we are bound to wearing safetyglasses with EN166 certification, but these standards seem almost comparable with the impact resistance of Oakley-lenses. I have to wear (mostly dark) safetyglasses all day every day, but they suck, I would rather wear a pair of O's, duh!
Are there industries in the US that allow Oakley's as safetygear?
There are safety M frames... They're approved in Canada and (most likely) the USA ...bare they approved in the EU? Give it a look!

Edit: here's a link, ask Oakley EU about it?

INDUSTRIAL M FRAME®

In the US we typically only need Z87 markings to get passed for safety glasses. Any of the "industrial" pairs Oakley sells are Z87 marked.

I wear my M Frames for all work conditions.

There are safety M frames... They're approved in Canada and (most likely) the USA ...bare they approved in the EU? Give it a look!

Edit: here's a link, ask Oakley EU about it?

INDUSTRIAL M FRAME®

That is exactly what I meant.. it is there in the US, but nowhere to be found @ this side of the pond.

Did send a mail to Oakley EU, let's see what they can tell me about this.

That is exactly what I meant.. it is there in the US, but nowhere to be found @ this side of the pond.

Did send a mail to Oakley EU, let's see what they can tell me about this.

rumor is that Oakley is coming out with a safety stamped line to be released in R3 or possibly early next year
but you know how things are with releases getting pushed back or put on hold.

Back