• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys compared to less expensive brands?

horns10

Oakley Beginner
For my birthday this year I'd really like to ask for a pair of Oakley Radars, preferably polarized (my Dad says he can't underscore the importance of polarized lenses enough). However, the problem is that my Dad said he wouldn't ever buy Oakleys and says a $50 pair of polarized sunglasses would be just as good. What is it specifically about Oakley that makes their lenses so much better? I'm trying to tell him that Oakleys truly are the best and that the price is justified.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Definitely use the search function here... You'll be amazed at what you'll find...

There's a video on YouTube which isn't premade propaganda... By a firearms site where he spends 20 mins plus doing tests between Oakley lenses and 'lesser' quality lenses...

It's quite informative!

Definitely use the search function here... You'll be amazed at what you'll find...

There's a video on YouTube which isn't premade propaganda... By a firearms site where he spends 20 mins plus doing tests between Oakley lenses and 'lesser' quality lenses...

It's quite informative!
Wow, that sounds interesting. Do you know what the video is called by any chance?

And more importantly, your just not kewl if you don't wear Oakleys!

For my birthday this year I'd really like to ask for a pair of Oakley Radars, preferably polarized (my Dad says he can't underscore the importance of polarized lenses enough). However, the problem is that my Dad said he wouldn't ever buy Oakleys and says a $50 pair of polarized sunglasses would be just as good. What is it specifically about Oakley that makes their lenses so much better? I'm trying to tell him that Oakleys truly are the best and that the price is justified.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
As to help you out with your dad...

First: Look up local classifieds and selling sites (like this one when you gain the privilege) and find the pair you want for less than retail...

Second: Re-evaluate your 'need' for polarized lenses. Unless you're on the water, driving on the road a lot or in a sunny snowy area for hours on end... There might not benefit THAT much from having em or not having em...

Oakley's polarization is costly and adds a serious premium at the register... You can get a 'regular' lense at first and then swap it for a polarized pair later on down the line...

When I was in high school I got the same reaction when I wanted Oakleys. "Why do you need such expensive glasses?"

I wish I had gotten more when I was younger. Oakleys are far and away the BEST glasses. They might not be the absolute best in any category, but they have top-tier optics, impact protection, and the best styling around.

As to help you out with your dad...

First: Look up local classifieds and selling sites (like this one when you gain the privilege) and find the pair you want for less than retail...

Second: Re-evaluate your 'need' for polarized lenses. Unless you're on the water, driving on the road a lot or in a sunny snowy area for hours on end... There might not benefit THAT much from having em or not having em...

Oakley's polarization is costly and adds a serious premium at the register... You can get a 'regular' lense at first and then swap it for a polarized pair later on down the line...

Hmm. I'm not on water really, but I do use sunglasses primarily for driving. Everything I've read says that they really just add another level of clarity to the lenses, but I don't know.

Also, one other thing - what is the difference between the Radars and Radarlocks? From what I've read it's just that the lenses can be swapped easily on the Locks. Can lenses not be changed on the Radars? Are the locks worth the extra cost?

Hmm. I'm not on water really, but I do use sunglasses primarily for driving. Everything I've read says that they really just add another level of clarity to the lenses, but I don't know.

Also, one other thing - what is the difference between the Radars and Radarlocks? From what I've read it's just that the lenses can be swapped easily on the Locks. Can lenses not be changed on the Radars? Are the locks worth the extra cost?
Are you planning on swapping lenses a lot or not?

Keep an eye out at your local Vaults...they have a lot of sales and pairs that are less than retail...

AND keep an eye out for the new Radar EV's coming out very soon...

Back