• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys compared to less expensive brands?

Are you planning on swapping lenses a lot or not?

Keep an eye out at your local Vaults...they have a lot of sales and pairs that are less than retail...

AND keep an eye out for the new Radar EV's coming out very soon...
No, I don't plan on it.

Thanks for all of the help by the way. :)

You can swap lenses in either Radar or Radarlock. The Radar comes in 4 sizes, the lock in 3 (Edge, Path, Pitch, and Range for the Radar only).

The Radarlock styling is a bit different and the left temple will swing open with a little button to help unhook the lens. Either can be done easily once you get the hang of it.

Either is also available with straight stems, which narrows the fit a little bit, and in my mind helps make the frame a little less wobbly.

oakleyvault.com is the official Oakley outlet store, which can score you some polarized and non-polarized glasses at great prices.

It's a complete package thing. Arguably, a lot of brands will come close in one aspect or another, but I personally haven't found any other brand challenging on all fronts.

Projector clarity tests will show you the difference between Oakley and other brands. Outside of Oakley's website, and some forum posts, I believe the Rolling O-Lab demonstrates this in person. I've worn Smith and Rudy Project previously - not cheap brands by any imagination - and I thought that was good as things got. Most people can't tell the difference in clarity, but there was a perceivable difference in colors. I haven't dug all the way through with the science, but from what I understand the things setting Oakley apart are their specific material blend and surface treatment. I know the latter comes at the cost of being a bit more scratch-prone than usual according to some people, including myself. Base-in-prism and tapering also play a big role, but it's not exclusive to them. If anything maybe their execution is exceptional in those regards.

The advantage of lens durability is in some ways a bit slim if I had to be honest. A lot of brands will meet the same ANSI Z87.1 standards. Oakley sometimes surpasses them, and is of the few to live up to military use, but most people don't need that. However, those "lot of brands" I mentioned...few of them would come remarkably close in optical quality at the same time.
Frame design is another standout, functionally and aesthetically. Fit is always each-to-their own. I personally found it exceptional as I've gotten along better with 3 different, non-adjustable Oakley pairs while I could never have my way with adjustable Rudy's. The Switchlock design acknowledged lens deflection to a higher degree as well as retention. Some other brands have their own replacement schemes, although many are still the pop in/out method. I'm a fan of Smith's Pivlock, but with the V90 it just created stress points and interface wear with each swap.

Aesthetics is another subjective point, especially since Oakley has tamed their designs lately. Still, take a Radarlock for example. Good luck naming another shield pair that really resembles it. The PitBoss and Jawbone are other examples. It is true you're gonna find other brands bearing some resemblance, but usually it's a case of taking after. You can say this aspect is some sort of vanity, but it's a very human appeal.

I realize I sound like a total Oakley nut-hugger with this post, but if I had to explain why I have this preference, this would be it. There are aspects of Oakley I do see through, and like many I did have reservations against the brand (douchey, cliche, etc) before actually trying it. Like I said at first, the advantages don't come in single regards, but a complete package. Expensive stuff? I'm not gonna lie, I have no leverage to actually collect right now. I never even paid retail for a pair yet. However take note there are a lot of designer brands charging an arm and a leg over Oakley's prices, and are literally not in the conversation of any regards I discussed.

I was a Rayban guy back in the day. Predators I think was the frame. Decent enough but after I broke the second pair I needed something better...

Hmmmm i believe there are several discussiond with these before even a video i think posted.

Latest Posts

Back