• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys Made In USA

Oakley started the outsourcing process with it's metal frames a short while back, now all of their new styles, newer color SKU's and newly manufactured pieces are being out sourced to China. This will only allow Oakley a few more years to keep their pricing about the same as now while other companies will increase their prices. Eventually they will increase pricing for the made in China SKU's.

Oakley started the outsourcing process with it's metal frames a short while back, now all of their new styles, newer color SKU's and newly manufactured pieces are being out sourced to China. This will only allow Oakley a few more years to keep their pricing about the same as now while other companies will increase their prices. Eventually they will increase pricing for the made in China SKU's.
So you're the authority on Oakley's pricing structure and are privy to their earning reports in contrast to market strategy for the next projected, oh, 10-20 quarters?

So you're the authority on Oakley's pricing structure and are privy to their earning reports in contrast to market strategy for the next projected, oh, 10-20 quarters?
It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, just common business knowledge. If they kept everything made in the USA their pricing would definately go up even more, so by outsourcing it allows them, and every other company who outsources, the ability to stay competitive in the market.

It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, just common business knowledge. If they kept everything made in the USA their pricing would definately go up even more, so by outsourcing it allows them, and every other company who outsources, the ability to stay competitive in the market.
Yes but you're speaking in definitive terms, and presenting your thoughts as fact.

You (more than likely) have NO IDEA what is going on. You've made assumptions and jumped to conclusions. I'm not saying they're off base, but you still aren't tapped in to a direct line of knowledge on the subject.

There's a really bad rash of "screw Lux, Oakley is diluting themselves" going around the boards. Yes, some of it is patently obvious. Yes, it's reasonable to assume that to maintain profits they have to both increase prices and decrease costs. It's a fact of life. The company I work for is working out new pricing structures right now, which includes both raising prices and lowering costs.

But to come out and say that anything new or newer is now Chinese made, and to put a timeframe (however loose) on their ability to keep price points in place? Sorry, I don't believe you know what you're talking about. Unless you can speak with authority you're just positing about global economics.

If you have facts please present them. If you're just quoting "common business knowledge" are you sure 100% of what you're saying as it applies to Oakley's source for manufacturing today is correct? If you're not 100% sure DO NOT PRESENT UNCERTAINTY AS FACT.

Also, I'm sorry that it may seem I'm lashing out at you in particular. I'm just getting really tired of the recent string of comments people are making on the subject of Oakley and it's Chinese business. 99% of which are based on conjecture.

It's a load of bull and getting people worked up without having all the facts.

Yes but you're speaking in definitive terms, and presenting your thoughts as fact.

You (more than likely) have NO IDEA what is going on. You've made assumptions and jumped to conclusions. I'm not saying they're off base, but you still aren't tapped in to a direct line of knowledge on the subject.

If you have facts please present them. If you're just quoting "common business knowledge" are you sure 100% of what you're saying as it applies to Oakley's source for manufacturing today is correct? If you're not 100% sure DO NOT PRESENT UNCERTAINTY AS FACT.

He seems to like doing that, not sure if you saw the "which plasma is this?" thread. Just annoys me to see false information propagated to innocent newcomers who are looking for correct information.. If youre not sure, dont act like you do.

I agree rusty that china doesnt necessarily mean bad. RX and wires have been made in china for ages, INCLUDING many titanium frame models. Granted this is the more "traditional" titanium, not the xmetal alloy. Which most companies have as well anyway.. But still it diesnt MEAN lower quality. i have to say though... The recent change to the omatter compound is a stupid move by oakley. Its nowhere near an improvement, and i think its this kind of change that people get upset about

I love Oakley and their products as does everyone on here (I assume) so lets not try and boycott or second guess them, they are still producing some stunning products with exceptional build quality and cutting edge optical technology.

Lets stop hating on them and continue to love them and their products.

i have to say though... The recent change to the omatter compound is a stupid move by oakley. Its nowhere near an improvement, and i think its this kind of change that people get upset about

Why do you say this? Is it because they're lighter and more flexible? That pretty much sounds like an improvement to me. Can't be the long term durability because they haven't been out long enough. I haven't seen any reports of premature damage from any members. So again, what do you base this "stupid move" on?

Why do you say this? Is it because they're lighter and more flexible? That pretty much sounds like an improvement to me. Can't be the long term durability because they haven't been out long enough. I haven't seen any reports of premature damage from any members. So again, what do you base this "stupid move" on?

nobody is complaining about the weight reduction- if they can build a frame that is lighter and not compromise the build quality you'll see i'll be the first to say all power to them. but releasing this new material across the whole line without getting the quality down properly is a stupid move in my book.

the new o-matter frames have a significant loss of build quality. maybe its just the molding process they havent got down with the new material? either case, within the week there are already reports of the new material in the twoface being warped, and the build quality of the new-material flak jackets being poor, including the nosebridge script being stamped skewed.

dont want to hear it from me? ask doc chop

nobody is complaining about the weight reduction- if they can build a frame that is lighter and not compromise the build quality you'll see i'll be the first to say all power to them. but releasing this new material across the whole line without getting the quality down properly is a stupid move in my book.

the new o-matter frames have a significant loss of build quality. maybe its just the molding process they havent got down with the new material? either case, within the week there are already reports of the new material in the twoface being warped, and the build quality of the new-material flak jackets being poor, including the nosebridge script being stamped skewed.

dont want to hear it from me? ask doc chop

I was not aware of an O-Matter change. Not that I'm surprised. The fact is whenever amy company says a change is an "improvement" its bull****. No company makes any change unless its to save money-if the change just happens to actually be an improvement in the eyes of the consumer that's an unexpected bonus but that rarely happens. While the frames may be lighter its pretty hard to fight the laws of physics-if you're making something lighter you're taking away mass, less mass means less rigid, more flexible...but that comes with a price. Cross the line of flexibility too much and the product isn't rigid enough to move back into place. Course now that I'm reading things about this I read "well I like the flexibility, now my head doesn't hurt". Um...how about trying a frame that isn't too small and actually fits ? Guess the only saving grace is warranty-there's one way to ensure people buy the product straight from Oakley, make the quality so bad you actually need the warranty! Oh wait, lets see the warranty pipeline go to hell too like it has with a company like Invicta where its literally 3, 4, 5, 8 months until your watch comes back from overseas. Only to find the repair wasn't done or the watch is actually more broken than before. Course that's only after you pay the $35 for shipping. Apparently O doesn't matter.

Latest Posts

Back