• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley's new Prizm Lens Line

Hello! Could you compare prizm daily polarized with black iridium polarized? I'm trying to imagine how works this new lens in sunny days while you're driving, walking, etc. What are the differences? Thanks!!

Other posts have said it's lighter than BIP, which the light trans % specs support. But it's not really apples-to-apples since BIP is a neutral base tint and prizm falls in the contrast category. More than one poster has said the G40-based oo BIP is very similar to prizm daily.

Other posts have said it's lighter than BIP, which the light trans % specs support. But it's not really apples-to-apples since BIP is a neutral base tint and prizm falls in the contrast category. More than one poster has said the G40-based oo BIP is very similar to prizm daily.

When you say "falls in the contrast category", is it like colors in samsung amoled screens? With what lens do you see colors more natural, without color distorsion, only with less bright?

When you say "falls in the contrast category", is it like colors in samsung amoled screens? With what lens do you see colors more natural, without color distorsion, only with less bright?

No, I'm talking about base tints. Lenses will always have a base tint i.e. the color of the actual lens and optionally will have an iridium (mirror) color coating, which is something completely different. The base tint is what mostly defines the color seen by the wearer, while the iridium mostly defines how they look to an observer.

Neutral base tints are typically grey (though with ruby they're blue) and just give the "less bright" effect.

Contrast base tints are typically brownish (though they can range from rose to yellow to orange to green or somewhere in between). The G40 base tint of the oo line that I mentioned earlier is rose-ish. They filter out blue haze and can make edges easier to make out, sharpening your clarity.

But contrast does tend to be a general "color wash" that's less natural, with maybe the exception of the VR line (of the legacy lenses). That's where prizm differs; it allows Oakley to fine-tune which specific wavelengths (colors) to let through, like an audio equalizer, to improve your visibility in specific use cases (which is why there are currently six different prizm sun lens types).

BTW to see an example of base tint vs. iridium coating, see this link below. Both BIP and VR28 BIP have the same iridium but BIP is neutral while VR28 BIP is contrast, comparison pics:

Need Lens Help | Page 3 | Oakley Forum

You're a master! What such a great explanation...but, what is the equalization with prizm daily? How would i see colors with this lens? Thanks a lot!

I think that feature was a bit too exaggerated.

I've seen a phone pic through the jade lenses, and it looked like an overkill rose tint. Your real best bet is gonna be when you can try them on in person so you can see how depth perception plays out.

Daily Prizm is not darker than BIP, it is a little brighter... The Daily Prizm polarized also brings out more contrast in a different way than we are used to with some of the current lens tints/bases we know. The colors are more vibrant, the high def visibly 'higher' [to me, anyway].

It is important to note the 'Daily' in context as there is an entire line of Prizm lenses with different characteristics for light transmission and color manipulation. The O-stores have books on them...

It's difficult to imagine with the oakley webstite's comparison...i don't see thinks like it appears in "with regular lens" when i use BIP. With prizm daily colours seem to be painted?

The comparison on that page isn't prizm vs. "regular" lens (BIP), it's prizm vs. no lens. But yeah, it's a simulation and you really gotta check them out firsthand.

Back