• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

OCP

I just heard today from my oakley store in Florida that this is a rumor that comes up every holiday season for the past 3 years....they also said that they are not doing it. So im not sure. Who has proof?

I don't think O will gonna OCP Frogs because it will flood the market and it will lose its value. I heard every season they only produce 9-12 colorways and 2-3 series (e.g: Acids and Blacklight) with 3,000 units each and if all gone its gone for good. O doens't care if there is demand for it because they are sports performance gear brand (they are pushing new tech eyewear with the like of Fastjacket and Airbrake), that why even Frogs exceed Z87.1 standard.

i don't think that oakley is interested in the value of some specific models on the second market!

I agree with Oakleynerd, prior to this year I would side with reign. After the re-release it all went out the window. I mean matte black w/ violet was a collab pair they rereleased so I don't think anything is safe. As oakleynerd said too, oakley isn't seeing a dime of the neon yellows selling for $450 on ebay, but if they released 3k more they'd see some money.

I don't think O will gonna OCP Frogs because it will flood the market and it will lose its value. I heard every season they only produce 9-12 colorways and 2-3 series (e.g: Acids and Blacklight) with 3,000 units each and if all gone its gone for good. O doens't care if there is demand for it because they are sports performance gear brand (they are pushing new tech eyewear with the like of Fastjacket and Airbrake), that why even Frogs exceed Z87.1 standard.

I can currently purchase over 20 different Frogskins models (Blacklight series, Acid Series, Re-releases, Polarized, Jupiter Camos, SW 24ks) from Oakley dealers, the market has been flooded for quite a while already without the black/second hand market for older releases. Furthermore, the 3,000 production run number isn't true, theres been a lot of debate about that on these boards but it turns out they produce much more. The 'Limited Edition' don't have set production numbers either (if you look at the wording in the Jupiter Camo page on the Oakley website you'll see that although they are 'Limited Edition' it doesn't mention them being a limited production run).

I agree with Oakleynerd, prior to this year I would side with reign. After the re-release it all went out the window. I mean matte black w/ violet was a collab pair they rereleased so I don't think anything is safe. As oakleynerd said too, oakley isn't seeing a dime of the neon yellows selling for $450 on ebay, but if they released 3k more they'd see some money.

Absolutely, I'd buy re-released neons in a heart beat. However, I'd do so knowing that Oakley was going back on it's word as 'Collectors Edition' models are only supposed to be available for set time and then never seen again (that's Oakleys own marketing material saying that, the quote is "For each original color combination of this coveted style, limited quantities will be produced. This is an opportunity to own a rare retro classic, and once supplies are gone, the window of opportunity will be closed forever. Please note that this lens/frame color combination is available for a limited time only. Due to the exclusive nature of the design, warranty replacement parts are limited."). Therefore, they'd be breaking their own word if the re-released the neons.

I can currently purchase over 20 different Frogskins models (Blacklight series, Acid Series, Re-releases, Polarized, Jupiter Camos, SW 24ks) from Oakley dealers, the market has been flooded for quite a while already without the black/second hand market for older releases. Furthermore, the 3,000 production run number isn't true, theres been a lot of debate about that on these boards but it turns out they produce much more. The 'Limited Edition' don't have set production numbers either (if you look at the wording in the Jupiter Camo page on the Oakley website you'll see that although they are 'Limited Edition' it doesn't mention them being a limited production run).

I agree with you to an extent. Do not quote me, but I know a few Oakley athletes personally that have told me about this "limited production number." They told me something along the lines of, Oakley SELLS to the public around 3,000 of each pair by the end of its production and once it hits 3,000 they will no longer sell these in stores. (unless a much more "limited" edition) This number isn't proven to be the number of pairs the actual Oakley stores sells or combined with O and O Dealers. On the other hand, Oakley makes much more as you said. These "extra" pairs are available to athletes, employees, and i think employees family members. Again, do not quote me. This is just what i was told by some friends that happen to be sponsored by Oakley.

Absolutely, I'd buy re-released neons in a heart beat. However, I'd do so knowing that Oakley was going back on it's word as 'Collectors Edition' models are only supposed to be available for set time and then never seen again (that's Oakleys own marketing material saying that, the quote is "For each original color combination of this coveted style, limited quantities will be produced. This is an opportunity to own a rare retro classic, and once supplies are gone, the window of opportunity will be closed forever. Please note that this lens/frame color combination is available for a limited time only. Due to the exclusive nature of the design, warranty replacement parts are limited."). Therefore, they'd be breaking their own word if the re-released the neons.

I agree that Oakley has never been interested in second hand market. In past years, Oakley was never interested in their own profits. Jim Jannard was more interested in products that would improve athletes performance. Like you said, that is a legit quote above, but i personally think that they want collectors/sunglass-lovers to just be happy and get a cool pair of sunglasses. I don't think they are trying to go back on their word, piss off collectors, or screw up the "value" of certain Frogskins. That is definitely not their plan. Also, they are not just thinking about us collectors, us on the forum, us fanatics. They are looking to create a great product in a color way that is a big eye catcher or a sought after piece that many people would love to get and that many people do not have.

We all need to remember, they are just sunglasses at the end of the day. eBay is the wrong place to see the "value" of certain pairs. Im not saying that you aren't already aware of the value, but all but about 10 pairs at the most probably are only worth about $45-100 even though they are "collectors edition." This goes for all collector items, not just sunglasses. The item is only worth so much before it becomes ridiculous and unreasonable. I will NOT pay more than $200 for one pair and this doesn't make me not as much of a collector as the next guy. Its just reasonable in my mind. If you pay more than it must have a value in your eye or a personal piece that would mean a lot for you to have. I love seeing how big some collections are and I'm glad for those who get good deals or just what they wanted. With that being said, get what YOU like, and like what you get. :biggrin: