• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Odd situation with Jawbone thru bolt

System Six

Oakley Beginner
Hi,

I've come across something odd when I tried to remove one of the lower jaws from my Jawbone. The bolt is spinning in place. Now you'd think the plastic in the frame is rounded or the bolt got rounded...but that's not the case.

From what I can tell, the male part of the bolt is not spinning in the frame. When I try to unscrew the bolt...it just keeps turning and not unthreading. I know I can use a dremel and drill out the bolt, but I'd rather not destroy the bolt if there is an alternate method of removing it.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks!

The male end is spinning, it just looks locked. Use an earsock and apply pressure with your finger on the male end and try unscrewing it.

Hi,

I've come across something odd when I tried to remove one of the lower jaws from my Jawbone. The bolt is spinning in place. Now you'd think the plastic in the frame is rounded or the bolt got rounded...but that's not the case.

From what I can tell, the male part of the bolt is not spinning in the frame. When I try to unscrew the bolt...it just keeps turning and not unthreading. I know I can use a dremel and drill out the bolt, but I'd rather not destroy the bolt if there is an alternate method of removing it.

Has anyone come across this?

Thanks!
The metal in these bolts is very soft and fine and very easy to cross thread
If you can unscrew the hex 'female' from the male... Try out the opposite.
Use a hex driver and hold down the 'female' part use then use a sticky tape (or old ear sock) and try and turn the 'male' to unscrew and separate em.

If you still keep spinning ... Chances are you've scrapped the threads and will need new bolts.

For that you can post a FS thread or get in touch with @Oakster

So I got the bolt out.

First to make sure that it wasn't the bolt turning in the frame...I made a small mark on the male side of the bolt...and it wasn't turning. I put the T20 in there and angled it slightly to put some pressure on the bolt. Then turned slowly. The bolt backed out. Examining the bolt, I found that the threads were crossed. Not sure how the heck I did that. I've removed the bolts many times. Lol...never managed to strip a bolt on any of my bikes...but did so on my glasses. o_O

I sell a ton of the Jaws and Thru bolts. About 1 in 20 bolts comes back as defective. I have even received a pair once (less than 1%) damaged direct from Oakley that somehow passed inspection. I've also seen packaging where they put two left jaws, thought that's not related to your problem. The bolts aren't too expensive to get extra sets. That;s for sure. Most of the time if something like this happens it's just the frustration of messing with it over and over that'll get to you. Glad to hear you got it out!

Back