• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

---Official "Dead Horse" thread---

kronin323

Font of Useless Knowledge
Austin, TX
We know there are a number of subjects on this forum that have been beaten to death. I hope this thread serves two purposes:

1 - a place to list "dead horse" topics

2 - if anybody just has to beat the dead horse some more, hopefully they do it here instead of cluttering up the rest of the forum.

I'll list a couple to start:

Dead Horse #1 - Lux owns Oakley and they outsourced manufacture of frame components to China.
Yes, we all wish Oakley remained independent and yes, it's good to support product made in the USA. But that's what happened so deal with it. And the China factory has high quality standards, claiming the move has reduced product quality is in your head. The lenses are still made in the US anyway. This is an enthusiasts forum, not a haters forum.

Dead Horse #2 - original x-metals are never coming back, the new "neXt-metals" are not the same.
Yes, the originals are better than the new ones. Yes, calling them "x-metals" is strictly a marketing move to help justify more premium pricing. No, you shouldn't compare the new ones to the originals but instead judge them by their own merits. But don't crap on them just because they're not as good as the originals; you're just getting suckered by the marketing. This is an enthusiasts forum, not a haters forum.

Anybody else?

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

Updates to the list:

Dead Horse #3 - Send Brazil?????
NO!!!

Dead Horse #4 - x-metal flex couplers, is the need for a tuneup a design flaw?
No. It works as designed.

The flexing of R1s causing the lenses to crack is a design flaw. The Half-X spring hinges being prone to breaking is a design flaw.

But Oakley needed a way to provide flex in an otherwise rigid frame, and the way they did it with the R1 cracked lenses. So they designed the flex coupler. And they knew it would be a wear item; brake pads on your car wear out and need to be replaced, is that a design flaw?

One could argue that it's poor design because it's not user serviceable. Like the Mars C-clips are poor design because they're a pain in the ass. But if it works as designed, it's not a flaw.

And by the time they got to the XS they made it user serviceable, too, assuming you could find replacement coupler rubber.

Dead Horse #5 - Are aftermarket lenses as good as OEM / which are the best aftermarket lenses?

No.

Some aftermarkets are better than others, but you typically won't have the same level of optics (base in prism as a specific example). You may not be able to tell so yourself, but optics tests prove otherwise. Many also may lack the same level of impact protection. They can look pretty and feel free to use them if you want, but "you get what you pay for" is a good rule of thumb for this.

Dead Horse #6 - Sellers shouldn't delete prices when an item is sold.
Yes, it'd be best if sellers left their prices on, for future market research. But yes, there are reasons why one might prefer to remove it, and why they should have the freedom to choose to do so. No, there shouldn't be a rule enforcing it, and it doesn't look like the mods have any plans to add one.

Dead Horse #7 - I paid F&F and the seller never sent the item. Can I get my money back?
Nope, you're screwed. You can leave negative feedback but that doesn't help your empty wallet. Always pay G&S and eat the fee - saving the 4% isn't worth the risk. Even reputable sellers you know and trust can sometimes turn bad. And if they will only accept F&F, run!!!

Dead Horse #8 - Can we have some special section or exception where we're allowed to bash other members? Because the greater audience really needs to know these things for their own protection. And it'd be therapeutic for those of us who want to gripe about people.
No, it'll never happen. This forum has a feedback system and that's the only mechanism available to call out bad deals. Bashing and flaming are not tolerated in general on many forums, nor will there be any divisive elitist special section exceptions. This topic has been beaten to death so many times and the response from forum leadership has been 100% consistent, the policy will not change. If you've gotta call someone out, go to facebook or some other social media outlet. Wanna gripe here, you're limited to passive-aggressive innuendo.

Last edited:
WAIT.......OAKLEYS ARE MADE IN CHINA????? WTF??!!?!?!?!??! When did this mind blowing thing happen? ;)

That's just gonna make me stop buying Oakleys now.....HMPH! :p

That horse has a boner!!!

I don't even want to know why you were checking out that horse's junk... ;)

But that reminds me - the other year I was in the airport at Brussels and there was some brand of beer with a black bull as a mascot; that had a giant statue with the bull, er, generously anatomically complete...:eek:

Back